Is it weird that I'm liking DT770?
Dec 9, 2008 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dreamwhisper

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm liking the DT770 a lottt.
bass and soundstage, what a winning combination.. HD25-1's have some serious bass, but nothing like the soundstage of a Beyer

but there is still serious problems for me with them. can anyone reccommend mne anything else to try based on the headphones I've owned?
the DT770 bass is a too much, but I like bloaty bass more than I liked the feeling that the K501's were shouting at me from a distance away.. weirded me out
for me the AKG sextetts felt to either have bloated bass, or be anemic over their whole frequency range
(even the K240DF which out of the sextetts I like the best still leaves me wanting more soundstage, bass extension, etc)
My favorite AKG that I've tried is the K141... though not at loud volumes, or with some types of music, because that bloats the bass too much

I'm thinking maybe I sould try AD2000 or DT990 next?
Any thoughts?

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 19
It has its faults, as all headphones do, but it made for an enjoyable low volume listen.

IMHO the DT990 has a very different treble presentation than the 770 pro, I went that route and was disappointed.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 19
Get the D2000. And quite frankly it's flat out better than the DT770 in everything, even in the fact that it's more easily driven. Ever since it was released there's very little reason for getting the DT770.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 19
If you like the DT770 a lot then get a pair of Darths from headphile.

Edit: oops, I didn't see that you wanted less bass. So maybe Darths are not such a good idea. On the other hand they do have better bass than the DT770 so you might find it more acceptable.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the DT770 a lot then get a pair of Darths from headphile.

He said the bass is too much. darths are a step in the wrong direction.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you could try blu-tak modding them. Helps tighten up the bass some without losing too much slam.

Which version of the DT770s do you have?

Ditto...did you get the DT770's from the amazon sale? Then you have the 250 ohm version.

Do you use an amp? I've only listened to these amped, and they sound great. Perhaps that is your problem...

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 19
Just my 2 cents here: I don't think it's weird at all to like the 770's. I too, just purchased the DT 770 PRO/80's. I've paired them up with the BSG cmoy from ebay and I must say, I'm pretty impressed. Yes the bass is rather strong, but when properly amped, it tightens up and gives you a great combination of bass, soundstage, and overall great sound. I don't regret my purchase, but then again my previous headphones were the Sennheiser HD 497's, which are great for the money but nothing compared to my new Beyers.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 19
I didn't have the DT770 Pro, but I do own a pair of '05 DT770 and two darths, and like you, I loved the soundstage of the DT770, but yes, the bass does sound a little bit too boomy for start.

As mentioned earlier, the darth may actually be something you may want to look at. Although the bass is more enhanced than the DT770 Pro, the mids are much better, making it possible to listen to enjoy the music at a lower volume. This will likely make an enjoyable listening session, without jacking the volume out, thus causing a boomy bass.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #14 of 19
just got some dt770 pros and am loving them, especially for classic rock, hip hop and techno. the bass is great, yeah it can get a bit out of control a bit, but you could say im kind of a basshead
wink.gif
, I think they may be very sensitive to source material, because that bass can be pretty flabby on some tracks, but on better quality ones it really tightens up. also I think throwing even a cheap amp on them, im looking at a starving student, will clean them up nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back