Is it true that modded T50RP's (specifically LFF's Paradox mod) is comparable to high end headphones such as the LCD2?
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #91 of 284
Quote:

There's always preference and taste, and there's nothing wrong with preferring Stax.  They're well regarded for a reason.

However, to say you have attempted some number of mods and then make a generalization that Stax is always better is not supportable.  There are dozens of mods and even very minor changes can have a huge effect on overall sound with a given configuration, and the mods have a huge variety of sound (and accuracy).

Compared to your mod, whatever it may have been, your statement is of course valid, you have a preference.  However, compared to ALL mods, and for all music and tastes?   

Of course there is preference. Your post is great example of the pot calling the kettle black. You have not heard my modified fostex or my SR5 yet you tell me "it's not supportable" to for me to say the STAX has better sound quality. I can tell you with 100 percent certainty I have heard both . The fostex driver has slower settling time that smears inner detail and dynamics. My ARTA measurements and ears are not lying. The "mods" do nothing to the driver. The fostex driver is not capable of resolving to the level of the electrostatic membrane. Even my electret Signet TK33's have superior sound and resolution over the fostex driver. As far as preference I can think of other dynamic drivers/phones I'd take over the fostex without hesitation and for less money and no mod needed.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #92 of 284
Quote:
Of course there is preference. Your post is great example of the pot calling the kettle black. You have not heard my modified fostex or my SR5 yet you tell me "it's not supportable" to for me to say the STAX has better sound quality. I can tell you with 100 percent certainty I have heard both . The fostex driver has slower settling time that smears inner detail and dynamics. My ARTA measurements and ears are not lying. The "mods" do nothing to the driver. The fostex driver is not capable of resolving to the level of the electrostatic membrane. Even my electret Signet TK33's have superior sound and resolution over the fostex driver. As far as preference I can think of other dynamic drivers/phones I'd take over the fostex without hesitation and for less money and no mod needed.

Then you failed to understand my post. 

It is not supportable to say "the mods I tried weren't as good therefore ALL mods aren't as good and the driver is bad."  You can certainly say "My mods weren't as good and I prefer Stax."   
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #93 of 284
Quote:
You have not heard my modified fostex or my SR5 yet you tell me "it's not supportable" to for me to say the STAX has better sound quality. I can tell you with 100 percent certainty I have heard both .

As far as preference I can think of other dynamic drivers/phones I'd take over the fostex without hesitation and for less money and no mod needed.

YOU have not heard any of the best T50RP mods. You did some mods yourself, gave up, and then proclaimed that an old Stax phone > ALL T50RP, with no evidence to support that other than one mod that you tried.

I've not heard the SR-5, but I'm very familiar with the Omega 2/KGSSHV combo, which I would have to imagine sounds better than the SR-5 and a $100 amp or energizer. I have a Paradox on the way, and I'll be happy to report how it compares.

Other dynamics that cost less than $75, or less than what? I listened to the stock Fostex briefly, and it sounds pretty mediocre. More bass than I would've expected given Tyll's FR graph and the 30Hz square wave which looks like most of the "no bass" open dynamics, but the midrange sounded like it was coming through a tin can. I assume that's out of control resonance there.

With LFF's mods though it's (from the measurements) a totally different headphone, far better behaved than 95% of the stuff out there including $1,000 Beyers and Sennheisers.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #94 of 284
Quote:

YOU have not heard any of the best T50RP mods. You did some mods yourself, gave up, and then proclaimed that an old Stax phone > ALL T50RP, with no evidence to support that other than one mod that you tried.

I've not heard the SR-5, but I'm very familiar with the Omega 2/KGSSHV combo, which I would have to imagine sounds better than the SR-5 and a $100 amp or energizer. I have a Paradox on the way, and I'll be happy to report how it compares.

Other dynamics that cost less than $75, or less than what? I listened to the stock Fostex briefly, and it sounds pretty mediocre. More bass than I would've expected given Tyll's FR graph and the 30Hz square wave which looks like most of the "no bass" open dynamics, but the midrange sounded like it was coming through a tin can. I assume that's out of control resonance there.

With LFF's mods though it's (from the measurements) a totally different headphone, far better behaved than 95% of the stuff out there including $1,000 Beyers and Sennheisers.

My mods were done over a multi stage process involving measuring with ARTA for spectral decay, frequency response, linear and non linear distortion. The drivers were also measured independently on a baffle, in the stock cups, modded earcups, three sets of custom earcups, on a baffle as a dipole and on a baffle with various back enclosures. The drivers are nothing special. PERIOD - The creative live with the bio driver measure better and sound better at 60 bucks without "mods" - I design and build custom one of a kind high efficiency speakers for people that will pay me for my experience, quality and ears. No DSP (paradox) is going to make an eagle out of a chicken.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #95 of 284
Quote:
My mods were done over a multi stage process involving measuring with ARTA for spectral decay, frequency response, linear and non linear distortion. The drivers were also measured independently on a baffle, in the stock cups, modded earcups, three sets of custom earcups, on a baffle as a dipole and on a baffle with various back enclosures. The drivers are nothing special. PERIOD - The creative live with the bio driver measure better and sound better at 60 bucks without "mods" - I design and build custom one of a kind high efficiency speakers for people that will pay me for my experience, quality and ears. No DSP (paradox) is going to make an eagle out of a chicken.

I'd like to see some CSDs of that CAL driver...

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #96 of 284
The chicken did turn out to become a eagle in my case.  I have not heard any Stax hp yet but if the Paradox come close to them I think I might never acquire one.  Yes they are better than my LCD-2.2, D7k and DX-1000.

Maybe your t50rp mod was nothing close to what LFF or Mrspeakers mods were and thats why you didnt get to that sound signature you wanted.  Some people knows modding and some dont, I for one dont know crap about it and thats why I got a Paradox.  But I do know what sounds good and whats not. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #97 of 284
The SR5 is a great little headphone.  So are the paradox/maddogs.  Can you post the FR/spectral measurements of the SR5 and a couple other headphones for reference?  I've always wanted to see how those measure.

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #98 of 284
Some comments at InnerFidelity regarding the Paradox & Mad Dogs: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-july-update.  Copied here:

"Mr. Speakers sent one of his Mad Dog modified Fostex T50RP headphones in for a measure and a listen. While certainly better than most modded T50RPs, they sounded a tad dry relative to the lush smoothness of LFF's Paradox or the Smeggy Thunderpants."

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #99 of 284
Got my Paradoxes in today.  Just fired them up.  Out the gate a better bass response than my Mr. Speakers and the BMF,  The BMFs are more balanced across the board. So far the Paradox seem to have the wider soundstage, more open sounding, almost like a 3d sound - but not.  They almost make the BMF, Mr. Speakers and the TP1 sound restricted.  right now I loving the bass extensions on these.  Will report back later with more after a few days of listing. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #100 of 284
Quote:
Got my Paradoxes in today.  Just fired them up.  Out the gate a better bass response than my Mr. Speakers and the BMF,  The BMFs are more balanced across the board. So far the Paradox seem to have the wider soundstage, more open sounding, almost like a 3d sound - but not.  They almost make the BMF, Mr. Speakers and the TP1 sound restricted.  right now I loving the bass extensions on these.  Will report back later with more after a few days of listing. 

Interesting impressions. I just got mine as well. At least out of my HM-801, I wouldn't say they have any bass emphasis, just very flat. Not bass lean, definitely not bass heavy. What I noticed more is the presence of the mids. Nearly all sealed headphones have a midrange suckout to some degree. These don't. Highs are present and balanced. Neither dark nor bright. Soundstage is excellent for a sealed phone, and detail retrieval is off the charts.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #101 of 284
Yep.. the mids on the Paradox are particularly special.. I think their accuracy and all around presentation exceed the HE-500's mids in more than a few ways.

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #102 of 284
Been living with a Paradox in my life for many months, wont be too long and it'l be a year! These have stood the test of time and more often than not I catch myself in a blank stare, deep into whatever is playing. Forever grateful for what clarity lff has brought to my music! Not intended as a plug, just a shout out to lff for the hard work and expertise. I hope to add a CTH soon, will report what I think compared to the O2 out of the ODAC if it happens :) 

Cheers, 

-M

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #103 of 284
Quote:
Interesting impressions. I just got mine as well. At least out of my HM-801, I wouldn't say they have any bass emphasis, just very flat. Not bass lean, definitely not bass heavy. What I noticed more is the presence of the mids. Nearly all sealed headphones have a midrange suckout to some degree. These don't. Highs are present and balanced. Neither dark nor bright. Soundstage is excellent for a sealed phone, and detail retrieval is off the charts.

These really do.  Also I said compared to the BMF and the Mr. Speakers (bot TRP mods).  However,  The bass on these are not like the TP1 but the soundstage is wider.  Yes the mids are lush without being dark.  I got them on the Burson 160D  I can't wait to put them on the B22.  I have to get them re cabled to a balanced connection first.  I'm not a fan of the V-moda cable.  it comes in the 1/8 size, I have to use a 1/4 adapter.  

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #104 of 284
Quote:

These really do.  Also I said compared to the BMF and the Mr. Speakers (bot TRP mods).  However,  The bass on these are not like the TP1 but the soundstage is wider.  Yes the mids are lush without being dark.  I got them on the Burson 160D  I can't wait to put them on the B22.  I have to get them re cabled to a balanced connection first.  I'm not a fan of the V-moda cable.  it comes in the 1/8 size, I have to use a 1/4 adapter.  

Who are you going to have do the re-cable? I've been thinking of trying some different cables just to see if I can hear any improvement. Right now I'm using the mini-mini cable that came with my Denon NC800.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #105 of 284
try Brian of BTG audio, he recable mine to 4pin xlr and its on it way to LFF for my second Paradox.  If it sounds great from 1/4" of my DP-1 cant wait to hear it with the new Schiit Mjolnir and my LD mk6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back