Is it true that modded T50RP's (specifically LFF's Paradox mod) is comparable to high end headphones such as the LCD2?
Jun 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 284
Interesting question.  I can not say that I truly have experienced "high end" audio, but I do know what I like.  About six month ago, I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of Paradox modified T50rp's from LFF.  I posted a review, the text of which I've included here:

A couple of days ago was an early Christmas, as when I returned home from work a package sat upon my porch.  Carefully opening revealed a present from from Santa LFF - a brand new set of Paradox T50RP headphones!!!
I will most a more complete review in a few weeks when I've had more time to listen to the Paradox's.  However, last night I used them to listen to the Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions Revisited.  This is a CD I have listened to many many times.

I only have one thing to say about the Paradox's:  HOLY SH_T!!!!  These are without a doubt, the clearest most resolving headphones I have ever heard.  Although I've listened to this CD dozens of times with my HD580's, K701's as well as Grado RS-2 and from my speakers, I am hearing sounds I have never heard before -- the intake of breath, subtle nuances to the decay of cymbals, etc.

In addition to sounding crystal clear (I can think of no better way than to say the headphones simply get out of they way of the music), they are very comfortable.  Most likely due to the large suspension band, after a few minutes on my head, I forget that they are even there.

Fantastic job!!  I could not be happier.

I've listened to the Paradox for over 6 months now and my opinion of them has not changed. In fact it has grown!  I have compared them again to my HD-580's, K701s, and Grado RS-2 as well as HD-650's and Grado RS-1s.  In my opinion, the Paradox are better in almost every way.

The only thing I can say is that the HD-580's are a bit more comfortable and I wish the Paradox were open instead of closed.  (I can't listen to closed headphones at work.)  While the HD-580's are good headphones, I know immediately upon putting on the Paradox when I get home from work, that they are a better set of cans.

I hope this helps!

-Tim

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 284
Depends upon what you mean about high-end stuff. They are not as good as the expensive STAX. But they play as well and even better the most mid-fi offerings such as the HD650, HE500, even LCD2. Some things they do better and some things they do worse. You should ask LFF what his vision of the Paradox is and what he was hoping to achieve.

Let's just say I to had find these from LFF and put them on for a minute or two to restore my sanity after hearing some bad sounding headphones at local meet.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 284
I say if you listened to sub 250-400 dollars phones, the Paradox will blow them away.  Only when you get to other orthos like LCD-2 they become competitive.  But dont buy them if you want a "fun" phone.  The Paradox is neutral in nature, it plays all freq clear and uncolored.  My only reservation is the bass.  Its no JVC DX-1000 or LCD-2 but what it has in lower quantity it makes up for quality.  I mean the bass is there its tight and clean but just not as much as the other phones i mentioned.   So basshead need not apply.  I myself want to get another pair but with a different cable as I want to try balanced amp. 

About the comfort, its superb.  If you use the provided headband thingy that LFF include its very comfortable. 

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 284
IMO you sort of have to have been around awhile to really understand how good the Paradox is at what it does... By that I mean, have heard a lot of different gear to have something to compare it to in your head. I will never get rid of myn just because of how accurate and starkly clear they are. I have heard an lcd2 rev 2 and the paradox side by side out of a lyr bifrost combo and depending on your preferred sound sig preference it's a toss up (keep in mind this is my opinion, i do not intend to start a war just state how i feel not how it is), if you like bass quantity the paradox are not for you. If you like all out flat with great extension and truth then the Paradox is for you. The paradox respond really well to amping, they are really fun out of my e11 which has a bass boost and it gives me some jive when i've had enough of the O2 amp all out flatness. Also the ODAC is an insane value! 

Cheers, I hope this informed you. 

-M

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 284
what about T1 and HD 800?

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 284
Quote:
Depends upon what you mean about high-end stuff. They are not as good as the expensive STAX. But they play as well and even better the most mid-fi offerings such as the HD650, HE500, even LCD2. Some things they do better and some things they do worse. You should ask LFF what his vision of the Paradox is and what he was hoping to achieve.

Let's just say I to had find these from LFF and put them on for a minute or two to restore my sanity after hearing some bad sounding headphones at local meet.

I sure don't like where high-fi is heading when $700-$1000 headphones are now being considered as mid-fi. I wonder how many years it is going to take when $2000 is the new mid-fi. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 284
How does one purchase a pair of these Paradox modified T50RP's?

How do they differ from Thunderpants?

LFF makes the Paradox's and mrspeakers makes the Maddogs. Thunderpants have wood cups crafted by Smeggy. Paradox's and Maddogs are flat, Thunderpants have a bass heavy presentation.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 284
x2, never saw anyone mentioning them in the same breath as the hd650 either. Wasn't long ago when many, many, many people were saying these were the best headphones currently made, and the pinnacle of highend headphones. Oh my what a difference a year makes. Now these have fallen all the way to midfi status? Just shocking.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 284
Quote:
x2, never saw anyone mentioning them in the same breath as the hd650 either. Wasn't long ago when many, many, many people were saying these were the best headphones currently made, and the pinnacle of highend headphones. Oh my what a difference a year makes. Now these have fallen all the way to midfi status? Just shocking.

True the LCD2 use to be Audeze's flagship, now its been pushed to mid-fi, it's a matter of time until $1k headphone will be considered low-fi here. :frowning2:
I guess I should go and purchase some $5k Stax to keep my sanity in the high-end game.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 284
LOL, 1k can will never be midfi. Why? because there will always be 20-50.00 cans, 100-200.00 cans, 300-500.00 cans and so forth. 2k-5k cans just didn't appear recently. There has been cans in the 4 figures for many, many years all the way back to the original omegas. So that makes no sense. And yes, the lcd2 isn't the flagship anymore but that don't make them sound any less that they did a year ago, it's just the lcd3 sounds better. If your argument was valid, then the hd650 wouldn't be midfi, but budget. But still they are considered midfi cans, and can be had new for much, much less than what a "used" lcd2 goes for. And I guess something like the hd598 wouldn't be considered budget because they can be had for less than 200.00. Just lol all over that statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back