Is it the right time for iHP-120?
May 6, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 18
If I had the money, then I would go for the iHP over any other hard-disk mp3 player, with Ipod or Rio Karma taking second (nomad jukebox has good SQ, I've heard, but it's too big). That being said, I got a really good deal on a used Ipod recently, so I guess I'll be joining the apple crowd...
tongue.gif

May 6, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 18
If I were in your position, and if you're not in a hurry, wait and see if the firmware upgrades actually materialise. Make sure the iHP is right for you as well. Will you really use all the features? Try it out before you buy it if you can. If you're essentially just looking to listen to mp3s, I'd say go for iPod if you can stand the battery life. The interface and computer integration is worth the price difference between it and iHP, IMO.

May 6, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomegranate
Will you really use all the features?

Good point there. I got mine partly because I liked the fact that I would have these features (recording/FM radio/LCD remote/optical out) available, but to be honest, I really haven't used them yet. But the remote is pretty cool.

Aside from that, I can't say I'm at all disappointed with this thing, except for some minor firmware issues. But I'm not talking ease-of-use; the way I see it, if you're going to lay down $350 for a state-of-the-art electronic device, you'd be willing to spend a short while learning the interface. Some of the people on here (not pomegranate) make people out to be apes. It's really not that complicated of an interface, just different from the widely-known iPod interface.

Edit: Radiohead is sweet.

May 6, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomegranate
If I were in your position, and if you're not in a hurry, wait and see if the firmware upgrades actually materialise. Make sure the iHP is right for you as well. Will you really use all the features? Try it out before you buy it if you can. If you're essentially just looking to listen to mp3s, I'd say go for iPod if you can stand the battery life. The interface and computer integration is worth the price difference between it and iHP, IMO.

I understand your point and that's the whole reason why I was so torn between ipod and iriver's hd player. I wanted that fun interface and OTF playlist so much I decided to wait it out even more. But I mean, now that the firmware is coming, I think that the extra features would be a nice addition. Even if I don't use them, its not like its costing me more. I can buy the iriver cheaper from online stores etc. than the ipod which stands strong at retail.

May 6, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 18
I'd say the IHP is the best value for the dollar out there now given the set of features it currently encompasses, but all players have their pluses and minuses and their own sound signatures.

Having said that, if you need the recording, line outs etc, and will be actively using them, go with the IHP. If you just need to play music, to me the iPod is the way to go; but again, how each handle their music libraries and their sound signatures differ somewhat. You'll need to figure out what you prefer.

My question (to the IHP owners out there), since the new H300 series are on their way, is it worth it to get an IHP now, or wait for the new line?

May 6, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimm
I'd say the IHP is the best value for the dollar out there now given the set of features it currently encompasses, but all players have their pluses and minuses and their own sound signatures.

Having said that, if you need the recording, line outs etc, and will be actively using them, go with the IHP. If you just need to play music, to me the iPod is the way to go; but again, how each handle their music libraries and their sound signatures differ somewhat. You'll need to figure out what you prefer.

With the firmware upgrade, iHP offers everything except the nifty interface. Whats wrong with iHP's interface? It is more complicated but after a week's use, anyone can figure out anything and adapt to it. That is my reason why ease of use is not even a factor to consider.

Again, I don;t see why I should pay the same for less battery life and not even the option of the features. Just having the features for the same price is incentive enough.

I would like to learn more about the next generation DAPs too.

May 6, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
With the firmware upgrade, iHP offers everything except the nifty interface. Whats wrong with iHP's interface? It is more complicated but after a week's use, anyone can figure out anything and adapt to it. That is my reason why ease of use is not even a factor to consider.

Again, I don;t see why I should pay the same for less battery life and not even the option of the features. Just having the features for the same price is incentive enough.

I would like to learn more about the next generation DAPs too.

Well, if you're asking ME (and I assume you are since you quoted me
wink.gif
), since the iPod is "inheritantly" based on ID3 tags, you can browse and search for you're music in a variety of ways, rather effortlessly given the iPod's software and buttons and scrollwheel. It's "not as clumsy" (for lack of a better word) as the IHP's interface can be. You can go from song to song, and navigate to any point of that song really quickly and easily, moreso IMO than the IHP. For me, I find that the iPod manages it's music library a lot better.

Having said that, I don't remember saying there was anything wrong with the IHP's interface. It's a more "flexible" machine sure, but I contend that if you don't need it's skill sets, and just need to listen and access different points of your collection, the iPod does it seemingly more effortlesly than the IHP, and to me, has a better sound, but that's subjective to the owner.

The battery life is what it is, not a deal breaker for me though.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 18
I was just asking myself what's wrong with the interface haha. Thanks slim. Yea, in the long run I think the ipod could be easier to use. Its like a manual box instead of automatic. Both are simple enough, just one takes a little more time to get used to... and in high traffic, it could be a pain in the a**!

May 7, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #10 of 18
The IHP is actually VERY easy to use.
Sure it takes more time then the iPod to learn all the options, but that's because it have MORE (alot more) options!
But the basic operation is a breeze, trust me.

May 7, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #11 of 18
It's actually not the specifics of the interface that's at the heart of the problem, but the way the iHP operates in general for loading and finding music as far as I'm concerned. I don't think the firmware updates address that, do they?

It really does depend on how you use the player. I suspect that many buy these players for the 'gadget' factor and they don't have that much music to actually play. If your MP3 collection is large, then the iHP's navigation method becomes cumbersome. Similarly if your collection exceeds the capacity of the player, the iHP becomes a bit of a liability. Many of the iHP owners who I do see griping about these issues are obviously avid music lovers with thousands of tracks on their players which they do actually listen to. I do wonder how much of the more gearhead-orientated crowd actually appreciates how much easier the music-handling side is on the iPod. For me that (and the general sound quality) is definitely worth it.

May 7, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Depends on how you organize your music, really.
For me, who never uses playlists (yes, I load using the directory each time), and doesn't organize or remember albums by artist, but by folders using genre and title...the iriver interface is more easy to use.

May 7, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 18
Time for my take on it I guess. Here's one argument that I'll NEVER understand, because there's NO logic to it whatsoever:
Quote:

If you just need to play music, to me the iPod is the way to go

So should I or a newb be made to understand that an IHP can't "just play music" ? No one has ever challenged this before, and quite frankly, I think it's the most overstated nonsense I've ever heard. And what kills me, is that this isn't something which only non IHP owners say...it seems to me that there's some brainwashing involved here, which makes one think that this is true. And please, get off of the whole "iPod is easier to navigate so you can "JUST play music faster" " argument. It's insulting to anyone with half a brain. Anyone can just as easily turn on an IHP, navigate to artist/album/song and press play. Wow..so very hard. Eeeech...people.

Ok, so I have about 2400 files on my IHP ATM, and each file, is in a folder which can be found in "seconds". Everything is tightly organized to MY specifications, and I've no doubt, that if anyone who has never even seen a HD player or Mp3 player before was to look at it, they'd be able to navigate to any artist/sonng/album that I told them to find in the same amount of time as it would take me. Given of course that I explained the navigation system to them...which mind you, is not really necessary, but some of the physical mechanisims on the IHP are not your standard foward/backward/up/down. There's a push involved as well.

Now...setting aside the whole GUI factor (because it's been done to death), and getting straight to needs...I WOULD agree that getting a player with features you'd never use is a silly thing, however, in this case, I don't see how this could even be a factor considering the price point. The iPod by default will always be more expensive than the "H" series, not to mention that bypassing the MSRP by purchasing the IHP through the internet, or even through a B&M store will make it even less expensive. And even if you never use those "extras", it's so nice to know they're there.

But let's not base a buying decision on this, because it's not fair. Let's go on just a FEW basic things which are really important. I am not factoring in ease of use becasue honestly, even if the iPod's GUI is more pleasing and a more fluid to use, this does not mean that the IHP is any less easy to use. I will finally conceed to those who persist in the argument that the average person would be able to noodle around on the iPod a bit faster than they would on the IHP. Fine, there's a one minute learning curve IF you're not technically inclilned, or if you live in a cave and have never seen an mp3 player before. (sorry, couldn't resist.
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Sound quality: subjective ALL THE TIME. So if possible, try out both.

Battery life: I think it's fair to say we ALL know the story there.

OS compatibility/software dependency (this argument is never ending, but I'm of the opinion that EVEN though the iPod is not STRICTLY dependent on iTunes (can use what..2 other programs?) in order to build a data base and play music files that were recently imported to it FROM which ever piece of software was used, the IHP still has the advantage, because no EXTRA software needs to be stored on it, in order to PLAY those music files you wish to hear immediately..it still NEEDS ONE OF THEM to get the job done. And Austin, if I've never disagreed with you before, here's where I do so...(with all due respect of course)

Yeah, the IHP needs Windows Explorer at the very least to drag and drop, but to pick that apart at such a level, is REDICULOUS. That's almost like saying "Haha...you need a monitor hooked up to your PC in order to see what you're doing ! " lol. You can't possibly wrestle that one. Don't make me go to Kansas ...cus I'll beat you with a corn cob if I have to !
eggosmile.gif

Bottom line is, they're both FINE players, and each will have its share of fans. I actually really like the iPod, but nothing really makes me want it over the IHP to be honest. Even the whole "integration with iTunes" thing isn't that much of a factor for folks who really rely on such a feature, because J.River's Media Center is like 3/4 of the way there. All it needs is a plug in and it's done. (which IS being worked on) BTW...MC supports .Ape; .shn AND FLAC . Gotta love it.

[/fin]

EDIT: I just tested how long it takes to scroll from the beginning to the beginning of the music artist list (it wraps both ways..something iPod doesn't do right ? Just asking, no sarcasm there) With 269 folders, it took exactly "10 seconds" to go from top to top again." So figure that anything within 1-10 seconds plus how ever many folders deep the album and song is, then what order the song is on the album..should never take me more than 15 seconds to navigate to a song...and that's at maximum time length.

May 7, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 18
This whole argument of not needing software other than Explorer is a bit off IMHO of course. How are you ripping songs? Third party software. How are you downloading songs? Third party software. How are you purchasing music (if applicable of course)? Third party software.

Yes, you can record directly to the iHP which is a plus, but can you honestly say that anyone has recorded all of their music via the line in. 99.99% of the music probably comes through your computer. Can you modify ID3 tags? Not sure honestly but extra kudos if it does.

My point is at some point in the chain everyone is using something other than features that are packaged with strictly with the OS. Oh wait nope i'm wrong you can do it all with OS X (minus P2P downloads) since iTunes is part of the OS if you are using an Apple machine but since that is only 5% that doesn't count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back