Is it the right time for iHP-120?
May 8, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #16 of 18
this is the first time that i heard anyone say that the ipod sound quality is superior.

that being said the h120 has a kick ass internal mic that is pretty much good for any not serious recording. ie lectures and people talking.

and you can easily get an external mic to make higher quality recordings. too bad there is no level meter, so its really guess and check
biggrin.gif

and the ipod having a easier interface is just a matter of preference.

May 9, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROTAK
this is the first time that i heard anyone say that the ipod sound quality is superior.

that being said the h120 has a kick ass internal mic that is pretty much good for any not serious recording. ie lectures and people talking.

and you can easily get an external mic to make higher quality recordings. too bad there is no level meter, so its really guess and check
biggrin.gif

and the ipod having a easier interface is just a matter of preference.

I could see myself going up to the professor and telling him to carry my iHP-120 around for the duration of the class. Hehe.. I like the sound of it.

I might buy it since i could be getting a nice price on it.

May 9, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROTAK

It is unfortunately. I ran two weeks of tests. If the sound was better (or even the same) I might have stuck with the iHP despite it's inferior operating system. The 'as is' unEQ'd sound was particularly crucial in my case as I was trying to use it mainly with the optical out. It's true that the iHP is the only HDD DAP which offers an optical out and it's the reason why I got it, but that's not terribly useful if it's not that great... As I found when comparing the output of the iHP vs various PCDP's using the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 upsampling phones.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the newest range of the H series... will they improve the base sound? Will they improve the operating system? Will they style it better than the "discount 80's Japanese boombox" style that was the case with the iHP? Although I really like the NJB3 (superior as a player and recorder to the iHP, but inferior in the obvious), it really does need to be replaced with something a lot smaller. I'll certainly be coming back to the new H series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back