Is it Possible To Make Open Headphones Closed?
Oct 28, 2015 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spelliam

New Head-Fier
Hi,

First off I'd like to say that this is just an idea, for all I know this maybe one of the most idiotic things ever thought of. I was wondering if it was possible to make open headphones closed. I really like closed headphones because of the isolation, but there aren't too many nice, premium, closed headphones on the market. If you were to just cover up the 'vents' on open headphones, would they sound the same? Again this maybe a horrible idea and I may be stupid, but any response would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Spelliam

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 7
There are many nice, premium closed headphones.  You can make an open headphone closed through modification, but it may take more than just sealing the vents.  Also, this will skew the sound in multiple ways.

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 7
Closing the open back of the headphones dramatically changes the sound. I have a pair of Grados, if I cover the backs with my hands they loose all bass and sound very thin, kind of like an AM radio. If you could just close it to add isolation without messing up the sound, the manufacturer probably would have done that themselves.

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 7
  Would you say the sound could be ruined entirely? 

Certainly.  The headphones were designed to be open, sealing them changes many things for the worse.  If you have an open headphone, just clasp your hands over the openings and you'll see.

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 7

Would you say the sound could be ruined entirely? 

Certainly.  The headphones were designed to be open, sealing them changes many things for the worse.  If you have an open headphone, just clasp your hands over the openings and you'll see.
Was going to say this. You can kill the character of the HE-400 by doing this.

Closed headphones are going to sound "different", but that "different" can be good. I love my HD600 as a primary headphone, but my closed go-to is the M-100 from V-MODA, and it offers a basshead alternative to my HD600.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 7
  Hi,

First off I'd like to say that this is just an idea, for all I know this maybe one of the most idiotic things ever thought of. I was wondering if it was possible to make open headphones closed. I really like closed headphones because of the isolation, but there aren't too many nice, premium, closed headphones on the market. If you were to just cover up the 'vents' on open headphones, would they sound the same? Again this maybe a horrible idea and I may be stupid, but any response would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Spelliam

You can't close it up without changing the sound. At best, you'll have to use a large enclosure with lots of sound dampening to prevent reflections inside, while still effective at keeping noise out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back