Is it possible to have no interest in music?
Sep 8, 2003 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

j-curve

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone be completely uninterested in music? Someone whose radio is always tuned to the news & talkback channel... Someone whose only CD's were presents... Someone with no interest in going to hear a live event...

Is it humanly possible? How could that come about? Or can the human need for music be satisfied subconsciously by background music on TV and in shopping malls?

Sep 8, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 30
Of course. Just as people who call themselves "not really a reader" or people who go to the cinema just for entertainment.

Stay optimistic and believe (it's likely an illusion I know), they'll make their mark in astro-physics, particle acceleration studies, etc.

Seriously though, think about people here. Is it likely most love audio (or more specifically equipment) this much and are still well rounded and give everything else its proper due? Very unlikely. Look at all the music discussions and then look at the closely related book suggestions and movie reviews. It doesn't spread far. Not bashing members here, in fact I think it shows how interesting and informative comments can be on one subject, but not necessarily move over to something that may seem directly connected (the Arts, etc.). Maybe it does in smaller ways though (interest in technology, so read sci-fi, get excited about Matrix and LOTR, etc.).

And hey, the news is pretty important.

Sep 8, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 30
Is it possible to have no interest in breathing?
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Is it possible to have no interest in breathing?
biggrin.gif

I misread this and thought it said no interest in BATHING. I thought, nasty.

It's possible to have no interest in music. I know some people like that. It just doesn't move them.

Sep 8, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 30
After my family, all I think about is music, hockey, and female companionship.(in that order) But in answer to your question, I no alot of people who have no interest at all in music. They don't come over much though.

Sep 8, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 30
Music is like the second kind of emotion. I really can't understand people who have no interest in music. It just doesn't make sense.

Sep 8, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 30
I know quite a few (video game obsessed) kids who simply don't like music. I can't help but simply dislike them. I even know some kids that don't have a single thing remotely related to music, ie CD's, a radio, or even a lousy mp3.

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 30
it's possible. the people of this persuasion are not people with whom i would generally associate, however.

Sep 9, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 30
jcurve
I've often wondered that, myself. I've heard it said before, but it's pretty damned rare. Also pretty rare is, "I don't like movies."

It's one thing to not like Hollywood films or popular music, but it's pretty hard to find people who just outright hate the entire range.

It's funny to me though, that with that said people are so quick to write off certain types of music or film. My mom won't watch an animated film, for example, no matter how mature it is. And lots of people who enjoy reading won't give even the most intelligent graphic novels a chance. And of course, with music, almost everyone is guilty of writing off entire genres.

Sep 9, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
jcurve
I've often wondered that, myself. I've heard it said before, but it's pretty damned rare. Also pretty rare is, "I don't like movies."

And "I don't like ice cream."

Sep 9, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
And "I don't like ice cream."

I've known too many lactose intollerant people -- I've actually heard that one a view times.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 30
I know quite a few people who have absolutely no interest in music. They don't purchase music, they don't listen to music. In a nutshell, they just don't care.
Like many here, I find that incredible. I'm 55 and have been buying music and listening since that first record my future sister-in-law gave me when I was 6..........."Sh-boom" by the Crew Cuts.
The first record I ever bought myself was "Walking My Baby Back Home" by Johnny Ray in 1955. I haven't stopped since. I can't imagine life without music.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #15 of 30
i used to be one of those who had absolutely no interest in music. i hated the crap that was played on pop radio, and i didn't know where else to look for something i might like. for all i knew, teen pop was the ONLY music out there. but then one day about two years ago i turned on mtv2 and they were playing pete yorn. "life on a chain" by him was the first song i ever really liked, and i ended up finding similar artists, and it grew from there into all the genres i listen to now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back