Is it possible to become an audiophile?
Sep 29, 2007 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

lonereaction

100+ Head-Fier
I've only started using non-stock earphones (I prefer in-earphones) less then a year ago, and all I can say is that it sounds so much better.

I currently own an ipod classic, Audio Technica ATH-CK7, and in a few weeks, the livewires. I've tried (for like 10mins each) the UM1 and UM2, and although I don't have "golden ears", I can hear the difference in sound signature and quality, but I can't really put words to it.

Where do you guys learn to describe sound in so many ways? Are there websites on the internet that teach you these stuff?
etysmile.gif

(Thanks for reading, by the way ~)

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonereaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you guys learn to describe sound in so many ways? Are there websites on the internet that teach you these stuff?
etysmile.gif

You listen to a lot of gear and read a lot of the reviews from the more experienced members. It's a good way of learning what words go with what sound/feeling/emotion, as they can be tricky things to describe with just plain words. At least that's what worked for me, as I think I'm getting a bit better at describing such things, even though I'm still a long ways off from being good at it, let alone good enough to write an actual review.

Either that, or some people are just born with that ability. If so, I envy them.

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 26
I just make things up. "Oh, well, the K701 has a very chocolate-y melody, with a hint of spice and rocaberries." Most the time I don't even use actual words.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 26
There are many people in the witing world that abhor the incorrect use of adjectives. Describing a sound as "warm" is ludicrous as a sound cannot be warm. The point is that more accurate descriptions should be used. The problem with this is that many people will look at you funny if you say "I hear what sounds like a 3-5dB increase in the lower end of the midrange" vs "it sounds warmer".

Additionally, there needs to be a common frame of reference. My wife wouldn't know what "headspace" is, but she would understand if I said that it felt like I was in a bigger room. Once I explained the idea, then we could use the term to communicate.

The point of language is to convey ideas. If you get your point across, then you've succeeded IMHO.

Words like headspace, sibilance, and warmth don't make you an audiophile, but they might help you communicate with one.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 26
I posted this elsewhere here...thought this might help.

okay, you listen here n00bIe.

you're nothing, got it? you're a little maggot with ears dipped in ****.

i'm not your mommy or your daddy or one of your loser, so-called, friends. i'm your worst nightmare!

you got that...neubeeeeeee?

what makes you think you are worthy, eh? did your mommy coddle you and say "you're my special little guy, someday you're going to be an Audiophile! coochecoochecoo."

Well I'm here to tell you, sister, that we're going to break you down--into little pieces! Then we're going to put you back together!

You *will* distinguish bright from warm!

You *will* achieve proficiency in cans, phones, iem's, buds, amps, tubes, sets, dacs, etc.!

You *will* listen to all music genres--including country&western and opera.

(you little maggot...)

You *will* back your claims with graphs! And they will be pretty!

You *will* carve a headphone stand from of Inuyasha's father's fang! (It *will* be named "headphonious-siaga"!)

You *will* diy an lod!

You *will* build a cmoy!

You *will* distinguish yourself in pointless arguments about Apple vs. ____, which is the best headphone for music released between June, 1971 and September, 1973, and does copper cable sound warmer than silver cable due to _______!

You *will* learn the proper and deadly usage of "x2"!

You *will* place an order with Ray Samuels while he's in the shower!

You *will* quote with precision and devastating brutality.

And that , Deborah, is just first day!

Do you think you have what it takes! Well, do you??!!

Its possible you you might, just might, make it to Head****phonieness Sup****ingness.

But I doubt it...

Feh, you disgust me! Drop and give me 20!

-m

p.s., welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 26
Exactly like what GAD described. Sometimes using simpler terms conveys the meaning much better. "Bigger room and projection" is better than "extended headstage" when reading other reviews.

Just be honest and describe sound the closest to your real-life experience.

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Oh, well, the K701 has a very chocolate-y melody, with a hint of spice and rocaberries."

I know just precisely and exactly what you're describing. Wait a minute...I can actually hear it.
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's been 5 helpful posts already

Oh...don't be modest. You can include your post in the count.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p.s., welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

Yes man.. I spent like 1 month working in a temp job to get an ipod classic and livewires.. which both add up to around 1.1k SGD (singapore).
I pray that they will last me at least 2 years. XD

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 26
the key is to sound extra snobby and pretentious. bonus points if you're rich.

Reflections of an Audiophile
As I was basking in the warm glow of my 30 thousand dollar signature SET tube amps sipping my 20 year old single malt, I pondered, should my next upgrade be a diamond tipped needle for my massive 700lb turntable, or shall I purchase the $5000/foot custom interconnect to replace my $1500/foot budget piece. For the time being I would have to live with the slight sibilance in the upper registers reminiscent of the slight acidic taste in a brandy that had not been finely aged. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself, realizing that only a person of unparalleled class and distinguished taste could decipher these obvious nuances in sound. I smirked at the thought of all the ignorant people out there listening to sub-par consumer grade audio systems, oblivious to the capabilities of a true hi-fidelity system.

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonereaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes man.. I spent like 1 month working in a temp job to get an ipod classic and livewires.. which both add up to around 1.1k SGD (singapore).
I pray that they will last me at least 2 years. XD

My friend, I cannot think of any reason why they won't serve you for a few years. Less is more. I think the initial investment is the most challenging. If you can control the inevitable "audio-nervosia" you'll be fine. Focus on the music for a good while, listen to lots of unfamiliar stuff too. Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back