Is it possible? Dolby Headphone through SPDIF/Toslink?
Mar 5, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Just actually read your avatar...... >_< yeah. I know what you mean.

That is not an effect, it is an encoding routine for BD content.  Actually I am not partial to one over the other, we basically only have DH or CMSS-3D to use on cards and through DAC's through S/Pdif.  Sometimes, I like one, sometimes the other and sometimes none at all. :)
I generally only use such things for gaming or movies.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
That is not an effect, it is an encoding routine for BD content.  Actually I am not partial to one over the other, we basically only have DH or CMSS-3D to use on cards and through DAC's through S/Pdif.  Sometimes, I like one, sometimes the other and sometimes none at all. :)
I generally only use such things for gaming or movies.

haha no I mean the Dolby, I know it was for movies, but the Dolby kinda just made a...oh right. Impression on me. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
What headphone(s) will you be using?

Turtle Beach DSS2, plug the digital optical cable into the motherboards S/PDIF output, other end to the DSS2

Asus Xonar DG (PCI) $30, should solve your problem, plug your headphones into the Xonar DG
No need to use the S/PDIF

you can send the Dolby signal thru the S/PDIF, but i believe you have to have something at the end of the S/PDIF to process (decode?) the Dolby signal (like the DSS2).

I'd be using the gear in my sig. And, as I thought I understood -- Dolby headphone is DSP applied to a stereo audio signal, so you don't need to 'decode' it, as it still just a stereo signal, just with some effects.  Dolby headphone is not like DTS/DDL, that it needs to be decoded by a receiver -- it's still just 2 channel audio, right?  

And if a $30 card has an optical output (for some reason I just love optical tech, it's my digital cable of choice) and can put out some DH dsp to play with on occasion, I think that's probably my best bet. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
I'd be using the gear in my sig. And, as I thought I understood -- Dolby headphone is DSP applied to a stereo audio signal, so you don't need to 'decode' it, as it still just a stereo signal, just with some effects.  Dolby headphone is not like DTS/DDL, that it needs to be decoded by a receiver -- it's still just 2 channel audio, right?  

And if a $30 card has an optical output (for some reason I just love optical tech, it's my digital cable of choice) and can put out some DH dsp to play with on occasion, I think that's probably my best bet. 

If its a stereo signal from start to end, that's fine for music or any 2 channel audio (and you do not need any Dolby stuff). But Dolby Digital offers more.

To the best of my understanding, Dolby takes a 7.1 (8 channels) or 5.1 (6 channel) audio feed and converts it to Dolby Virtual Headphone (which is two channel).
but has been processed in such a way that your headphone fools your ears into thinking it's hearing 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound.
And it works because it starts of with all the audio feed from 6 or 8 channels (not just two channels)
Dolby Pro Logic (expand stereo) is were a 2 channel (stereo) signal is expand to a fake 5.1 signal, this is for speakers, not sure about headphones.
I think there is fake surround sound for headphone starting from 2 channels, but Dolby Headphone can start off with up to 8 channels.

I believe DTS is a competitar to Dolby.
DDL (Dolby Digital Live) is were Dolby offers it's services to encode any audio signal set to it (like by the computer), so as the signal can be sent down something like S/PDIF
Feel free do double check my two cents.

The Asus Xonar DG comes with Dolby Digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back