Is it OK to leave your headphones plugged in when turning the Schiit Lyr on and off?
Jan 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, you know the infamous on/off cycle video showing the Schiit Asgard crunching up the K702's diaphragm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg

Does that happen with the Lyr as well?

If you happen to have a K701 or K702, I would be grateful if you twisted the ear-pads out, plugged it into the Lyr and turned it on and off with the K70x plugged in all the time... Tell me what happens? Also tell me when you bought your Lyr (apparently Schiit made changes to the Asgard after the video was put onto youtube)?

Thanks!!

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Are you kidding?

How is that not a legitimate question to ask?

You saw what the Asgard does to the K702 when switched on and off with the K702 plugged into it.

If I'm spending that much or even more on a headphone, obviously I want to make sure that if I merely leave the headphones plugged into the amp (Lyr) when switching the amp on and off (and I'd hardly consider that reckless or irresponsible behaviour - everyone does this with their headphone amps) - it won't do the same thing as the Asgard does and potentially damage my expensive headphones that I worked hard to save up for.

If someone has a K702 - can they please plug it into a Lyr, turn the Lyr on and off and tell me what happens?

Thanks very much in advance!!

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 7
I wouldn't want you to damage your K701s, so I just plugged my K701s into the Lyr, turned them on and off and............................

.......................the next door neighbors cat peed on my driveway.

But your mileage might vary.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Relays have been added to prevent transient voltage spikes during power cycling.  No need to worry.  It's very common for boutique audio gear to have transient voltage during shutoff because the capacitors need to release their energy.  Many consumer products have bleeders, but a lot of the boutique stuff does not.  It's normal.  But, for good measure, Schiit added relays. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I wouldn't want you to damage your K701s, so I just plugged my K701s into the Lyr, turned them on and off and............................

.......................the next door neighbors cat peed on my driveway.

But your mileage might vary.

Consider yourself lucky-the sky fell on me whenI did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back