Is it ok to install central AC at around 50 degrees?
Nov 6, 2010 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
We bought a new house and need to replace a furnace and air conditioner. I've already signed a contract to replace both but a friend told me that the pressure testing of the AC piping has to be carried out at temperature above 60 degrees. Should I delay the AC install since temperature will never be over 60 this year again?

Job located in Connecticut.

Thank You in advance

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't think pressure testing should be a problem at 50F. I work for an oil company and we install a lot of furnaces but we don't work on AC units, so I can't be absolutely positive. But pressure testing means adding pressure to a closed system to check for leaks. I don't think it would be a problem. Ask the installer what they think.

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Installer say its not a big problem but I'd like to know more opinions.

Thanks for your background info.

I think its more of issue with refrigerant pressure since its dependent on temperature.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 6
If it doesn't work right once the temperature comes back up, ask him if he will come back out to fix it at no charge. If he agrees to do that, put it in writing.

Wish I had an answer, since we deal with a lot of AC units out here. However, this is Yuma. Sub-60 temperatures are not usually found when AC units go in.
smily_headphones1.gif
And feel free to come visit if you want to see the sun.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 6
If that were true I don't think they would build houses in the winter.  I have seen units being installed when it was snowing.  My nephew was a construction supervisor for a large developer and he said he has never heard of such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back