Is it likely a harder-to-drive (non-electrostatic) headphone than the HE-6 will be released?
Aug 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I don't have a dedicated headphone amp as of yet, and am a firm believer in saving up to get an amp that is powerful enough to drive all headphones that exist now and that will ever exist in the future - so I know that my purchase will be future-proof and the amp will never be the limiting factor in the chain.

Right now I'm basing this on the ability to drive the HE-6, seeing as that is the hardest headphone in the world to drive.

But is it likely that one day there will be a harder-to-drive headphone than the HE-6?

I am thinking that Hifiman may well deliberately make the HE-7 so hard to drive that even their EF-6 amp can't drive it, thus forcing you to buy the HE-7 with their new exclusively-compatible EF-7 amp, and getting lots of money off of you...?

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I don't have a dedicated headphone amp as of yet, and am a firm believer in saving up to get an amp that is powerful enough to drive all headphones that exist now and that will ever exist in the future - so I know that my purchase will be future-proof and the amp will never be the limiting factor in the chain.

Right now I'm basing this on the ability to drive the HE-6, seeing as that is the hardest headphone in the world to drive.

But is it likely that one day there will be a harder-to-drive headphone than the HE-6?

I am thinking that Hifiman may well deliberately make the HE-7 so hard to drive that even their EF-6 amp can't drive it, thus forcing you to buy the HE-7 with their new exclusively-compatible EF-7 amp, and getting lots of money off of you...?

Nah, the difficulty to drive HE-6 is more of a byproduct by design rather than intentional. Since then they have been pushing out more and more efficient cans. I'm sure in the future as the planar magnetic technology improves more, they will push out a newer flagship that will be more efficient than HE-6.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One day there will be a headphone that won't be able to be driven at all, and it will cost $10,000. 

But just imagine all the raves on here.... 

"The soundstage is so HUGE that everything is GONE!"

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

One day there will be a headphone that won't be able to be driven at all, and it will cost $10,000. 

But just imagine all the raves on here.... 

"The soundstage is so HUGE that everything is GONE!"

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back