is it just me or is the scl4 not that great??
Jan 1, 2009 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got my scl4s today and I was super excited to try them out.

So of course I did that.

I put them securely in my ears and then turned on the music. I expected to be blown away to be honest but I was very disappointed.

Yeah the mids and highs are fairly clear but bass is very lacking. Additionally the sound doesn't feel FULL and so first thought was: I must be putting these things on wrong.

I used three different types of sleeves and basically did whatever I could to place them correctly in my ear. Altogether it just wasn't that great.

I have a pair of CX300s and then did a straight comparison and the bass absolutely rocks the scl4 but admittedly the mids and highs aren't as muffled. However I paid 14 dollars for my cx300s and I paid over 100 for my scl4s and I just dont see it.

Am I doing anything wrong? Is this a similar experience for anyone else here??

Please let me know because I would like a reason to keep these things instead of go around trying to sell them.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 20
Yeah. Fit for IEM's is absolutely critical as you'll find from poking around in reviews on this website and others to the quality of the sound. If you can't get a good seal, the SQ will leave much to be desired and even much cheaper earbuds will beat them out.

I say keep trying and persevere. If you can get them to fit properly, I think you'll be very happy.

I know I am with my UE Super.fi 5 EB's and Shure SE530's.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 20
It also could be that you're just not used to a more balanced sound signature versus some of the cheaper earbuds that will artificially inflate certain parts of sound reproduction to boast that they produce better SQ.

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 20
It's just you.
biggrin.gif

E4c/SCL4 is the best thing Shure ever made earphone-wise. But they're definitely not for bassheads.

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #7 of 20
I have SCL4s and use the triple flanged sleeves. I do find them to be a little thin on the bass. I generally play them from my iPod with no additional headphone amp. I find that they can get uncomfortable to listen to after a while, but that could also just be the iPod's DAC/headphone amp. The intro to Pink Floyd's "Time" is kind of painful on this setup, to be honest. Very harsh.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 20
I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but when going from single flange tips to double flange to triple flange, the bass gets thinner with each additional flange, but clarity and/or airiness also increases.

At least, that's been my experience with changing out various tips between various manufacturers.

I haven't experimented enough with foamies vs. silicone to know exactly what the common difference is between using a single flange silicone and a foamie. In addition, if you consider it, there are really two different types of foamies, which would be the Shure Olive type you don't have to compress, and the standard Comply type, which you do.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

I put them securely in my ears and then turned on the music. I expected to be blown away to be honest but I was very disappointed.

This worries me quite a bit. I returned the ADDIEM to get these baby. Yes the $80 deal. If the bass is somewhere near the ADDIEM's I'll be very happy. I really hope the SCL4 are not the kinda IEM that the manufacture set a ridiculously high price just to make them look good.
Oh well, time will time.

taikero, have you Shure arrived? What's your impression?

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
taikero, have you Shure arrived? What's your impression?

They haven't arrived yet. I'm expecting them by Friday though. Monday at the latest.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #13 of 20
I listened to the E4s for 3 years on a daily basis; nice IEMs, but very little bass. Compared to my current SA6s they are clearly lacking there. I used EQ, that way you can get the sound more balanced, but whatever I did, low tones are simply not on the menu. Still, for lots of music I enjoyed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back