Is it just me or is pop music really whiny
Mar 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

alysony

100+ Head-Fier
For the most part I've heard a lot of what I think is pop music and the singers voices are whiny. Girls Aloud sound whiny, Jason Derulo, Ke$ha, I mean it all sounds like they are trying to sound as annoying as possible. Am I alone in this, cause if that's just changing trends then more power to them....I just think they are getting more lazy as they rely more on autotune. That's just my opinion though.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 23
Mar 23, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 23
What sticks in your head sells. Four or five years ago I became disgusted with music on TV and my time behind the TV for music became less and less. I prefer my CD-collection which extends from Ragtime to Slayer. A lot of music and artists share similarities, it's the originality that defines and distinguishes the artist and his/her work from others.

Get used to it or leave it behind. Love songs especially are typical, Alicia Keys gained popularity through her soulful love songs.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 23
I figured it was either the loudness wars, or perhaps something else. Still...it's a bit sad, because some of the songs are catchy...just their singers stink. For example, I actually think that song Down by Jay Sean is really catchy, the only problem is his voice is whiny. Turns out there is a cover boy band from Singapore I think and I love their version better.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 23
Modern ‘pop’ singers, especially female ones seem to all be singing with a peg over their noses, they make me laugh.

I am old.

I have seen the space age, the nuclear age, the jet age and the computer age.
I am now living in the garbage!

bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Modern ‘pop’ singers, especially female ones seem to all be singing with a peg over their noses, they make me laugh.

I am old.

I have seen the space age, the nuclear age, the jet age and the computer age.
I am now living in the garbage!

bigsmile_face.gif

Comes to think of it, Phil Collins has a kind of open nostril sound too. Nasal was good for the 80's too?
redface.gif

Ian

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by alysony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured it was either the loudness wars, or perhaps something else. Still...it's a bit sad, because some of the songs are catchy...just their singers stink. For example, I actually think that song Down by Jay Sean is really catchy, the only problem is his voice is whiny. Turns out there is a cover boy band from Singapore I think and I love their version better.

It's what happens when someone who can't sing is marketed at a musical artist because of their pretty face.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 23
If you want whiny, just listen to any alternative, Radiohead included.
Don't get me wrong...I respect Radiohead, but Thom Yorke is the whiniest singer I've ever heard.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 23
it's me too.
biggrin.gif
p absolutely can't stand pop music anymore. stuff like kesha, beyonce, rihanna, etc is just ear rape. my hatred of pop extends in other genres too. i hate pop rap/rnb and rock too. tho i guess radio 'hard rock' like nickelback and hinder falls under "whiney" too.

i listen to almost exclusively punk. punk is where it's at.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 23
Definitely not just you!
I do not like today's pop music either, with a few exceptions. It seems to be more about image, beautiful face, etc. than real musical performance.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want whiny, just listen to any alternative, Radiohead included.
Don't get me wrong...I respect Radiohead, but Thom Yorke is the whiniest singer I've ever heard.

Sure, Thom Yorke "is recognisable by his distinctive tenor voice, vibrato, frequent use of falsetto and ability to reach, and sustain notes over a wide vocal range..." (from Wikipedia). But I find that a positive distinctive feature, actually appreciate it. It's not clear if you mean "whiniest" as an insult, or just a way to describe his voice.
Don't get me wrong... it's just that I don't know what other singers you've ever heard, so I don't know your perspective. Maybe just Johnny Cash, Barry White and Jim Morrison?
wink.gif

Back to the whining - I find it's worse when the recording people try to fix the whiney singers by auto-tuning them (or do they do that to make them more whiney? I don't know ...)

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Lady Gaga sounds like Elmer Fudd.

"I want your wove. Wove, wove, wove. Bad womance."

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lady Gaga sounds like Elmer Fudd.

"I want your wove. Wove, wove, wove. Bad womance."

Can't really help saying your "r"'s (that looks weird) like that when you think about it and try it out yourself. I guess she could put more emphasis on making the pronunciation more solid, but this is the first time I've ever heard somebody hear it as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back