Is it dangerous to use EQ's with headphones?
Aug 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pearljam5000

500+ Head-Fier
so i was using my Cowon D2 today(connected to my amp) and i played a bit with the EQ ,increased the Bass and the highs, i was wondering is this dangerous to the headphone's drivers, will this create too much load on them?

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 14
Unlikely to cause any damage to the driver's at moderate level changes. Although, if the extreme's on the EQ are bumped up you most likely will get mild to severe distortion at which point you maybe damaging your drivers. Just be careful not to over do. Generally, most headphones will actually sound the best with little to no EQ adjustment.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 14
if it is a hardware equalizer actually amplifying the power to the headphones, then yes at stupidly high levels your going to mess something up, but when i am sitting in front of a computer, i use software equalizers which have no such risk, when they clip its clipping digitally, i am sacrificing abit of the sound resolution through doing this but the balance i get from the sound is worth it, in fact i always used an EQ, when i start using a new pair of headphones i have to gradually change the settings over time as the headphones burn in so that i get the same sound all the time

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 14
I think its better to do this;

instead of this;

When you boost frequencies you could get distortion. With the first screenshot you will get no distortion but -6db 63hz and up.

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 14
MrKazador made a point that should always be remembered; when applying EQ, subtract, rather than adding. That virtually removes the possibility of clipping or distortion.

I also love his HD555
tongue.gif

Oh, if only I had the guts to cut up my precious headphones...

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 14
I destroyed a pair of SR80s by applying something like 10dB of boost at about 30Hz, although I was listening at fairly high volume. Once the diaphragm slams into the front of the enclosure and crumples up, even after repair, it will still not sound the same because it will be weakened.

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 14
Wow...scary!
the EQ is going back to being flat ASAP
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I destroyed a pair of SR80s by applying something like 10dB of boost at about 30Hz, although I was listening at fairly high volume. Once the diaphragm slams into the front of the enclosure and crumples up, even after repair, it will still not sound the same because it will be weakened.

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 14
Iv heard that if you use MEGA-bass boost on the new Monster Beats headphones, Dr. Dre jumps out of them into your living room!
So if he lands on your dinner that could be dangerous...you might go hungry that night.

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I use too much Big Bottom with my ER4 it makes them go POP
eek.gif

So I try to never do that.

Ever cause a speaker driver to bottom out? Now that's what I call a POP.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 14
better yet, have you ever had a speaker cone shoot right out of the speaker before? ive done that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back