Is it actualy possible for your ears to bleed if the volume is too high?
Dec 24, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Sounds like the woman at McDonalds sueing them for buring herself with hot coffee. You need to take responsibility for your own life (and hearing in this case). You know damn well a concert will be loud...if you are not smart enough to either not go, or bring ear plugs, you deserve damaged hearing.

The coffee is served hot as it keeps better that way. It is designed to be drunken after it cools to the appropriate temperature. The coffee cools naturally and it is commonly known that it should be drunk after waiting for it to cool. The coffee container contains many warnings that the coffee is hot.

At a concert, the music is presented at a certain high volume level. It is presumably supposed to be heard at a high volume level, seeing as how there is no reason why the speakers cannot have the volume set to a lower level (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I doubt it). The volume level does not decrease as the concert progresses. You cannot block the sound unless you have brought earplugs with you. There is no significant warning that the volumes are of hearing-damaging levels, and it is not commonly known that the volumes can damage hearing.

These two cases are totally different in most relevant ways. And if you claim that anyone who goes to a concert without ear plugs deserves damaged hearing, then it seems to me that comment is a huge bash against the intelligence of many posters on this forum here.

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #47 of 54
Don't know bout concerts, but my ears used to bleed when I listened to phones too loud and too long.

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
The coffee is served hot as it keeps better that way. It is designed to be drunken after it cools to the appropriate temperature. The coffee cools naturally and it is commonly known that it should be drunk after waiting for it to cool. The coffee container contains many warnings that the coffee is hot.

That's just the thing - before the lawsuit, it didn't have any warnings.

Secondly, anyone who goes to concerts without earplugs and expects no hearing damage is an idiot and deserves whatever insult to his or her intelligence is implicit.

Thirdly, the concerts are loud so they can be heard in the back, and because people like to feel their music. It adds significantly to the atmosphere of the event.

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Secondly, anyone who goes to concerts without earplugs and expects no hearing damage is an idiot and deserves whatever insult to his or her intelligence is implicit.

Either that, or they're young and believe in their own invincibility (something I believe most of us have been guilty of to one degree or another in the past).

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #50 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Either that, or they're young and believe in their own invincibility (something I believe most of us have been guilty of to one degree or another in the past).

Perhaps, but with information on hearing damage so readily available, it's a genuine fool who chooses to chance forever damaging his or her ears.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Perhaps, but with information on hearing damage so readily available, it's a genuine fool who chooses to chance forever damaging his or her ears.

Actually, to tell you the truth, unless you actually search for it, the information is NOT readily available. Before coming to this website, i had NO idea that ringing ears is a sign of hearing damage. I use to come out of my car and sometimes i'd turn up the music so loud that i'd get out and they'd be ringing. Instead of thinking "oh gosh, i hurt my ears" I shrugged it off and moved on.

I also remember going to a monster truck rally (don't ask) without earplugs and seriously, it was the loudest 2 hours of my life; I probably significantly damaged my hearing that night, but I didn't think about it/know about it.

I actually was the one that educated all my friends about hearing loss, it's side effects, and the signs of it; they had no idea before hand either.

The average human being does not think about his hearing, contrary what you may think. Hearing is a passive sense that many people don't pay attention to/care about.

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #52 of 54
I try, vainly, not to think about the damage incurred to my hearing over time. Thankfully, even after attending some rather loud shows sans earplugs, I walked away relatively unscathed, or so I gather.

Interesting that some venues sell earplugs at shows. Most of the concerts I go to are at clubs and the like; never seen such a beast. Even at large arena events, I never spotted anyone selling ear protection. From here on out, though, I've a mind to bring earplugs. I'd like to hold onto my ears for awhile, considering my eyes are bad enough as is.

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
back on topic, everyone is missing the point. Ear Bleeding FROM HEADPHONES, NOT CONCERTS!!!!!!!

Yeah, about that, there's no difference in terms of what happens to your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back