Is it actualy possible for your ears to bleed if the volume is too high?
Dec 23, 2005 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Gibo

100+ Head-Fier
A silly question from a much quoted term

"Ear bleeding volumes"

This may be a joke but is it actualy possible.

Does anyone have any earbleeding experiances from headphones?

orphsmile.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 54
You'd have to physically damage your eardrums, i.e. break them. Can't say as though I've ever experienced it, myself (come close a few times at rock concerts though
tongue.gif
).

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 54
Exceptionally high volumes can perforate or rip asunder the membrane of the ear, which I imagine would be accompanied by severe pain if not necessarily copious bleeding.

It would, however, also be accompanied by an immediate re-evaluation of the necessity of multithousand dollar audio setups, as the listener would then be at best mostly deaf.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 54
Scary thought. Any chance of healing?

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 54
Rock concerts anyone? Or at least by young, stupid modern bands that don't understand simple concepts like...VOLUME. Without disclaimers they could easily be sued by nearly anyone in the audience because exposure to the extreme volumes which CAN and WILL damage hearing. Of course no one would persue legal action because they're too dumb to realize it. I have mild tinnitus because of ONE Dropkick Murphys concert. It was so loud that my own ears crackled. It was so loud that it actually sounded WORSE because instruments and vocals became unintelligable. And this was from fairly far back in the audience...come to think of it, the guys up in the front and center were probably safest since the speakers were only on the sides. But anyone infront of those I'm sure lost significant hearing after those few hours.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy_
Scary thought. Any chance of healing?

No. It's sad, really, a lot of kids think it's either safe to listen at very loud volumes (like with headphones) or don't care because they think that, by the time it's a problem for them or by the time they're older, they're be a cure for it.
rolleyes.gif
Naivety at its best. And this is coming from a 19 year old.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
No. It's sad, really, a lot of kids think it's either safe to listen at very loud volumes (like with headphones) or don't care because they think that, by the time it's a problem for them or by the time they're older, they're be a cure for it.
rolleyes.gif
Naivety at its best. And this is coming from a 19 year old.

No, no one thinks the latter. But since I like feeling superior to others who don't actually exist, too, I'll add my piece:

I hate people who go to metal concerts expecting to listen to acoustic jazz at reasonable volumes, punctuated by intermissions with sliced pears and martinis.

As to a cure, well, it's certainly a cure for thinwalletitis, eh? Or at least a re-route to something other than headphones.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 54
Hey im 17 and i go to my share of Slayer and Megadeth concerts
evil_smiley.gif
. Its always been that ive come home to my ears ringing for a week or so after but think to yourself, its not kids these days. Older ppl (parents included) probs went to their fair share of Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin Concerts and they just had 100 or so huge speakers blazing away with out a care for the damage being done (maybe not so much Pink Floyd).

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
Hey im 17 and i go to my share of Slayer and Megadeth concerts
evil_smiley.gif
. Its always been that ive come home to my ears ringing for a week or so after but think to yourself, its not kids these days. Older ppl (parents included) probs went to their fair share of Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin Concerts and they just had 100 or so huge speakers blazing away with out a care for the damage being done (maybe not so much Pink Floyd).

I promise you're the last person in this thread that will receive my "you don't know what you're talking about" treatment.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
Once you go metal, you stay metal
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dave Mustaine is god

You silly, wee man. I am metal. One time, Dave Mustaine came to my house to deliver a custom gold-layer pressing of Rust In Peace and I kicked him directly in the crotch and sent him on his way. THAT'S how metal I am.

He came back later and we got really drunk.

METAL.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #13 of 54
The loudest concert that I’ve ever been to was the Guns N’ Roses and Metallica concert at the Los Angeles Coliseum back in the early 90s. I was dead center about twenty rows from the stage and the main speaker system. It was Hetfield’s first show back because he had burnt his hand and arm weeks before in a freak pyrotechnics accident.

After Metallica’s performance my ears were rings and vibrating then for another two or three hours Guns N’ Roses performed. I damaged my ears that night. My ears didn’t stop ringing for about a week, but no blood. I don’t think it’s possible that your ears could bleed from listen at extremely loud volumes for long periods of time.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 54
Yes it is. My friend used to be in a band and they practiced LOUD in an enclosed environment without sound proofing in the room, and did not wear any form of hearing protection. One of his ears did bleed. It healed, but was it worth it? Probably not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back