Is highend audio evil science?
Jan 15, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #46 of 80

If you think highend audio is evil science, shouldn't you show data to backup your claims as a scientist rather than doing witch hunt? I already said highend stuff doesn't have scientific evidence to backup its performance so I'm asking for information here. Your behavior doesn't look really like a scientist right now.

Again, I'm going to repeat, since you didn't seem to understand:

"Evil" is not an objectively measurable topic.

I can't measure an audio device and determine how "evil" it is.

Similarly, I cannot measure science to determine how "evil" science is.

The entire topic cannot be addressed via data.

This thread should be deleted as inappropriate to the Sound Science forum as it cannot be considered even remotely scientific.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #47 of 80

If you think highend audio is evil science, shouldn't you show data to backup your claims as a scientist rather than doing witch hunt? I already said highend stuff doesn't have scientific evidence to backup its performance so I'm asking for information here. Your behavior doesn't look really like a scientist right now.

Until we (or you because you came up with the thread) come up with a clear definition of what constitutes "evil science", no further discussion can be done. This thread is nearly like asking if purple is a good colour.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #48 of 80
Evil science is a word I found in reddit that made me curious if audiophiles will think of highend products that way too. I thought it was similar to snake-oil but can do harm in audio performance or make things worse instead of making no difference.

I originally posted this in reddit first and expand the threads to Head-Fi and AudioAsylum to gather different opinions from different communities. You can read reddit for full definition of evil science here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/5o2psx/is_highend_audio_evil_science/dcgcvrs/

Seriously, I'd have thought if I do something wrong myself if it's just here but other places are doing fine. I don't know why you guys are so easily riled up and call me trolling from agreeing or disagreeing.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #49 of 80
Until we (or you because you came up with the thread) come up with a clear definition of what constitutes "evil science", no further discussion can be done. This thread is nearly like asking if purple is a good colour.

Good point... Is purple a good colour?

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #50 of 80
Thread going in circles.  We've been through this too many times before.

Boring.

Going to eat lunch, watch sports.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #51 of 80
How do we measure the difference between two bit perfect devices? How do we measure the difference between the Baa and Faa of the McGurk Effect? How do we measure how evil a USB cable is?

What's the difference between a duck? One leg is both the same!

Helloooo mods, is anyone thereee ?

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #52 of 80
OK. I'll post evil science definition from reddit here for people who don't want to click another link.

As someone with a long-standing use of the flair "Evil science" in this sub, I object to your use of the term, and conflation with snake oil. :grin:

I should have registered that trademark…

That said: Products like exotic cable, cable lifters, shakti stones, Mapingo room tuning reduced-size hockey pucks, green CD markers and similar: All snakeoil.

As for other products: The word you're looking for is "well-engineered" and "poorly engineered" - not good or evil science - science doesn't have moral value, only how it's applied. People who build products don't do science; they do engineering.

There are poorly-engineered products out there with sky-high price tags, and there are well-engineered products with moderate pricetags.

Throwing out the poorly engineered products, such as this one out, your question becomes one of "Does properly engineered products show a (scientifically) provable increase in sound quality?"

The answer to that is "Yes" and "Maybe":

• Harman has done research with large-scale double-blinded listening tests that in essence show that speakers that objectively measure better are also greatly preferred over products that don't measure as well.
  • That research doesn't extend to other components, such as amplifiers or sources.

As for when "diminishing returns" set in: It depends on the technical/engineering requirements for an audio system. If all you want to do is to listen to relatively bass-deprived music in a small room at moderate levels, seated close to the speakers, then they set in pretty quickly, and the improvement you'd be getting from a $5000 solution over a $500 one will be marginal.

If you have other requirements, such as being able to play the full audio frequency range at THX cinema levels, then diminishing returns for you may not set in until you have $50000 invested. Here's a physics example for you:

• Let's say you're seated 4m from the speakers, and you want THX reference levels. This would mean a peak SPL of 105 dB in your listening position. Since sound drops off by 6 dB for every doubling of distance, this means that the loudspeaker would need to be capable of reproducing 117 dB at a distance of 1m.
  • The most difficult bit about producing 117 dB is in the bass, as the excursion becomes large. You'll realistically need at least two 15" subs to reach this level
  • You're also starting to run into power issues - a typical loudspeaker with a dome tweeter has an actual sensitivity of 87 dB/W/m. To be able to play 105 dB peaks at 4m with this speaker, you will need an amplifier capable of outputting 500W short-term. You now have two issues: If you're using Class AB amplification with toroidal transformers, not many amplifiers are actually capable of this without considerable cost. The second issue is that traditional tweeters aren't all that fond of being fed that much power - the voice coil will get hot, the isolation will melt and the tweeter will fry.

There are multiple other issues that aren't covered here, such as room interaction and directivity, because they are an entirely new can of worms, with products just released or being released - the new Lexicon speaker utilizing beam forming, the Beolab 90, pictured on top of this page doing some of the same, and the Kii Audio Three which attempts to solve directivity in the bass domain. All of them costly solutions.

Maybe it was wrong of me to ask for non-scientific related question you guys' dictionary. I'll come up with better scientific terms for future questions that work with Sound Science forum from now on. This place needs special care unlike reddit, audioasylum and other places. I'm aware of that now. Don't worry. :)

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #53 of 80
Quote:Originally Posted by watchnerd Correct. Opinions don't count for much here. Data does. It's a counter-balance for the fact that the rest of Head Fi is a DBT-free zone -- talking about blind listening tests can get you in trouble with the mods in other forums. Here it is the opposite. But you know this already. Where's data in this thread? Show me.

Love it.

Start troll thread with statement that asks for subjective opinions on a general topic, get responses calling out troll thread, then complain that we somehow owe you data.

Even the basic title of this thread is stated incorrectly. Science cannot be either evil or good. The application of the science or the scientist could be evil but I wouldn't use that word as we are discussing audio products, not something that's life and death.

I'm certainly comfortable with words like unscrupulous and unethical when referring to many of the claims made about high end audio products but that's usually more of a marketing issue than a science issue.

I also think you're conflating questioning the value of high end products with lack of experience or ownership of them. I can only speak for myself, but I suspect many of us make purchases because we decide we want something, even when we know there are cheaper options that would be audibly indistinguishable. Nothing wrong with that IMO as long as you understand what you're buying going in and claims aren't made post purchase that aren't backed with data.

Edit - took to long writing/editing this and everyone stole my thunder :)

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #54 of 80
Love it.

Start troll thread with statement that asks for subjective opinions on a general topic, get responses calling out troll thread, then complain that we somehow owe you data.

Even the basic title of this thread is stated incorrectly. Science cannot be either evil or good. The application of the science or the scientist could be evil but I wouldn't use that word as we are discussing audio products, not something that's life and death.

I'm certainly comfortable with words like unscrupulous and unethical when referring to many of the claims made about high end audio products but that's usually more of a marketing issue than a science issue.

I also think you're conflating questioning the value of high end products with lack of experience or ownership of them. I can only speak for myself, but I suspect many of us make purchases because we decide we want something, even when we know there are cheaper options that would be audibly indistinguishable. Nothing wrong with that IMO as long as you understand what you're buying going in and claims aren't made post purchase that aren't backed with data.

Edit - took to long writing/editing this and everyone stole my thunder
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, you summed up the situation very nicely.
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #55 of 80
Since when sound science bans subjective opinion discussion? I never ask for data but since watchnerd insists to have one, I only told him it's not like I can provide data or ever find one so I'm asking people here for ideas. What's wrong in that?

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #56 of 80
I just purchased this for no reasonable explanation other than curiosity and it seems cool to me. 

http://www.darksucks.com/store_Lambda-SOLIDbrass.html

I have DACs that cost less than this toy top, and from the measurements and my own listening tests, I don't see how they could be outperformed by even a multi-thousand dollar MSB DAC with one of the Femto clocks installed. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #57 of 80
Hmm..... So as long as you don't say "I purchase this because it sounds good or better than X", you won't have problems with sound science people? Then highend wouldn't make any sense to you guys at all since the sole purpose of highend audio is significantly better sound quality, would it?

Also, questioning about highend equipment ownership is from different topic about jitter. Please stay in main discussion about your ideas on highend audio (if using evil science is confusing).

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #59 of 80
  I just purchased this for no reasonable explanation other than curiosity and it seems cool to me. 

http://www.darksucks.com/store_Lambda-SOLIDbrass.html

Wow, those are cool!

That's the most useful information contained in this whole thread.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #60 of 80

Then highend wouldn't make any sense to you guys at all since the sole purpose of highend audio is significantly better sound quality, would it?

Not at all.

If someone wants to purchase something because it looks cool, has a nice feel to it, seems better built, is engineering overkill, has status, and imparts pride of ownership. No problem!

I do so, too.

But if you claim it sounds better, well....that's a different story.

I buy mechanical watches for reasons of aesthetics, history, artisanship, looks, etc.  But I don't have to pretend they actually tell time more accurately than my cell phone or a cheap Casio G-shock because they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back