Is Heed canamp or G lite a good amp for K501?
Oct 30, 2006 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bismack

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering an amp for my k501. I mainly listen to classical music, including orchestra work, chamber work, violin and piano solos, and operas. I hope this amp can provide a wide soundstage, killer's mid-range, glorious high, and good details. I don't care about low range.

Please give me some advice about which one is better. Thanks!

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 11
as much as i would also love to know (im in the same boat), don't forget that the Heed is pretty much new to the Head-Fi community and not too many people have heard them yet and so far it seems to be in the FOTM category though from the initial impressions it does seem to be a very high class amplifier

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 11
I would like to get the Heed, though because I have to budget my money till the end of the year wisely (go college living!) and I have other investments to make, I don't know if I'll wait, or get something cheaper.

Right now, it's a tossup between the Go-Vibe V5, Headfive, Gilmore Lite, and the Heed CanAmp and argh I can't choose and it's making my head hurt.

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 11
the other thing is i dont know if the Heed is really an actually huge gain in sound quality - i dont doubt the gilmore lite will be bad - but i also think that after a certain point, realistically (though here on head-fi i feel these minute differences are really exaggerated, though not necessarily in a bad way) amps start to plateau and the perceived differences are merely preferences in sound and minute things that psychologically we feel are bigger than they might be

but then hearing such strong recommendations for an amp and such great descriptions of what the sound is like makes me second guess

it's hard...

and then i hear things that the Headfive colors the sound and the Gilmore is very neutral and detailed and lean and gives good PRAT but seeing as how i have a pretty bright setup (entech number cruncher and K501s) im wondering if i should try to balance it out with a warmer sound even though the Gilmore is like electricity-high...and i like soundstage and i hear the Headfive has a great soundstage, but then I also hear that it won't have as good synergy with multiple cans as the Gilmore which makes me want the Gilmore in case i get different phones down the line (very likely) and then with the new Heed CanAmp i'm just really puzzled as to how it compares - i've heard great things but i donno...and seeing as it's just like $25 more it might be worth it...but again it's FOTM and very few impressions so far...

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 11
If you can wait a little, more impressions on the Heed will be coming. Per Dan at Blackbird, the first 8 have been shipped from Hungary (sadly, I'm number 11) and folk should be listening/posting soon. Also, a few of us will be listening to mrarroyos Heed this Friday, so maybe look for impressions there. Since I've ordered one, I, for one, am hopeful that it lives up to its hype.

The mini meet will be in FL on 11/3...look for thread re same

Just found out my Heed is being shipped to me NOW!!! There will hopefully be two Heeds at the mini-meet.

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 11
I've got the K-501 as well as the HeadFive and a Dynalo/Gilmore Lite. Don't know about the others, though.

Don't agonize over the decision. Yes, the HeadFive is a little warmer than the Dynalo, but that's not to say either is bad. I've said it before, but this is like going to a good restaurant and having to choose between two dishes you love. They taste different, but you like them about equally well.

In other words, you can choose either amp and be happy. And you will be happy with a properly amped K-501; it's a good match for the music you listen to.

Nov 1, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna
the other thing is i dont know if the Heed is really an actually huge gain in sound quality - i dont doubt the gilmore lite will be bad - but i also think that after a certain point, realistically (though here on head-fi i feel these minute differences are really exaggerated, though not necessarily in a bad way) amps start to plateau and the perceived differences are merely preferences in sound and minute things that psychologically we feel are bigger than they might be

but then hearing such strong recommendations for an amp and such great descriptions of what the sound is like makes me second guess

it's hard...

and then i hear things that the Headfive colors the sound and the Gilmore is very neutral and detailed and lean and gives good PRAT but seeing as how i have a pretty bright setup (entech number cruncher and K501s) im wondering if i should try to balance it out with a warmer sound even though the Gilmore is like electricity-high...and i like soundstage and i hear the Headfive has a great soundstage, but then I also hear that it won't have as good synergy with multiple cans as the Gilmore which makes me want the Gilmore in case i get different phones down the line (very likely) and then with the new Heed CanAmp i'm just really puzzled as to how it compares - i've heard great things but i donno...and seeing as it's just like $25 more it might be worth it...but again it's FOTM and very few impressions so far...

The Heed CanAmp has a fantastic sound, it IMO sounds better that Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3. Both PinkFloyd and I have listened and compared them and came to the same conclusion.

I had to sell one I would sell the Heed even though it sounds better. Why? there is something about tube love.

Edit 1: Vorlon1 also listened to the Heed CanAmp and really liked it.

Nov 1, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 11
Guys, wait a couple of days and more impressions will be coming. I had mrarroyo's Heed for about a week and really liked it, especially for the kind of music you like. It is a very detailed but sweet sounding amp. I prefer it by far to the Gilmore lite. I was using a K 701 at the time, but lately have gotten a K 501 which I am currently listening to on a Headfive. It sounds very good on the Headfive. Dan told me on the phone today he is shipping the first batch of Heeds on Thursday, so they are unlikely to arrive by Friday's meet, but mrarroyo is bringing his so you should have lot of other impressions real soon. Hang in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back