Is HD-DVD Dead?
Feb 18, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #46 of 60
I would expect Blu-Ray players and discs to increase in price now that there's no competition. Also, from what I've understood, current BR players don't yet take full advantage of the technology.

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would expect Blu-Ray players and discs to increase in price now that there's no competition.

Not sure. Now that HD-DVD is out, there'll be different makers all competing to sell hardware. Prices will eventually go down... though probably not to DVD levels for a long while.

Quote:

Also, from what I've understood, current BR players don't yet take full advantage of the technology.

That's what makes the PS3 so tempting, Sony's stupid plan finally worked.

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

I would expect Blu-Ray players and discs to increase in price now that there's no competition. Also, from what I've understood, current BR players don't yet take full advantage of the technology.

This is probably the dumbest thing i keep hearing from the HD-DVD forlorn.

There is competition on blu-ray hardware between sony, panasonic, pioneer, etc, etc, etc.
There is competition on software between all the studios.

price increases (or slower price drops) on hardware would have been much more likely if HD-DVD had been in the winning position, as Toshiba is really the only hardware manufacturer there.

Blu-ray is not a monopoly (and is not only sony), just as DVD had no such "monopoly" and price raising/fixing, even though it didnt have a direct equal competitor format.

Seriously. some HD-DVD fans really have their heads buried in the sand.
I have no affiliation or bias towards either format (or company), but i am glad this war is over. the ONLY chance at any sort of mass adoption is to have ONE format.

I would have been just as happy if HD-DVD was the clear winner at this point, even though i do feel blu-ray is the technically superior format (based on capacity and audio/video bitrate capability).

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #49 of 60
Toshiba should release HD-DVD to the open source community. That would make things interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toshiba should release HD-DVD to the open source community. That would make things interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

I don't think would work since someone would need to make the discs, which would require quite a bit of financial backing. Then there's also the little problem of the encryption which most definitely wouldn't be released to open source
tongue.gif

Rassilon, there's no need to be so hostile. I'm sure everyone can agree that having a single format in the end is the only way to ensure widespread adoption of HD material.

IMHO, I don't see any price increases or price drops in the near future simply due to the relatively low quantities that Blu-ray hardware are being produced and being sold right now. Perhaps the prices may drop if the manufacturers decide to try to improve adoption?

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

I would think the opposite. The hardware manufactures backing HD-DVD will now make Blu-Ray players, creating more competition.

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #53 of 60
It's over! I got my HD-DVD player to mainly play regular DVDs though. I'll wait for a firesale.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm going to pat my own back because I called it almost a year ago.

That makes one of us.

I put my money on HD (figuratively) based on the fact that Sony had never won a format war. I failed to consider who they were competing against: Toshiba had never (until now, to my knowledge) even even been in a format war.

Win a few lose a few, I guess (for me and for Sony)...having only one format to choose from can only be good for fans of HD movies & music.

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #57 of 60
For those who care: Amazon, Circuit City, et al are dumping their HD-DVD movies/players at cheap prices.

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes one of us.

I put my money on HD (figuratively) based on the fact that Sony had never won a format war. I failed to consider who they were competing against: Toshiba had never (until now, to my knowledge) even even been in a format war.

Unless you consider that obscure format of which they share the patent - compact disc. There are others like the 3.5 inch floppy that did pretty well for their time..

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you consider that obscure format of which they share the patent - compact disc. There are others like the 3.5 inch floppy that did pretty well for their time..

Yeah yeah...kick a guy when he's down, why don't ya!
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I'll give you the 3.5" floppy...Sony must have done a good job evangelizing it, because it never would have taken off without Apple. No credit for CD tho...Philips has always been much too modest in their "joint effort" line (all Sony did was develop the error checking) but really there was no format "war" over CD...in 1982, there were no other digital formats to compete with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back