is hd 598 right choise for portable player?
Oct 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Any player can power them, just not to the best of their ability. It will sound nice, but not have the fullest bass,  most details, or largest soundstage it is capable of with amping. If you want to buy them, I would, and then later get a headphone amp.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 14
could you tell me something more about headphone amps? How much i'll have to spend to fully benefit from hd 598 on my player? Is this amp small enough to fit into pocket? 

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 14
The Ibasso portable amps are good, and the least expensive model would work. It is the T3 at $120. Look at the for sale part of the forum and basically any on of the portable amps would work with it. 

Edit: To make these cans really sing, a more substantial amplifier would do the job much better. There is a Matrix M-stage in the for slae forum for $210, and you can buy an Ibasso Toucan (A portable amp that is very powerful) for $229. Again, these will not really work outside the house to their open nature.

Edit 2: As Mootookang pointed out, they are probably not the most durable of things either.

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Oh, and are these headphones good for outside? Bus, etc.

Don't know about the 5X8s, but there are some problems with the 5X5s that made them not suitable for portable use.

The build quality is a problem, there are reports of crackling on the side of the earcups for 555, don't know about the 595.

The cord is extremely long, probably would be troublesome without rewiring.

The phones is stock with a 1/4 adapter, you would need to use the converter to 1/8 for the standard input.

And they are open phones, which means your music would leak out and sounds from outside would leak in.

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 14
The HD598's cable's got a 3,5mm plug in the headphone-end which you can twist and pull out.
Should probably be shorter replacement-cables with 3,5mm in the amp/player-end available soon.
Without it you would need the gigantic adapter, which is not at all an elegant solution.

Portability though, these are not the proper cans for. As many others mentioned, they leak - a lot.
You may get to enjoy it for a couple of minutes, before someone slaps you about the face :)

I had these for a week (impulse buy), and traded them with my brother for some audio equipment for my car instead.
They had a nice and airy sound, good mids and highs, but bass were terrible.
Also, the left cup rattled in fear of most hard-hitting bass-notes.
Rattling in one cup is terrible. Should be punishable by deaf. Uhmm...

And without an amp you won't be able to play loud from a portable source.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Yeah the Sennheisers are a $50 headphone at best. 
We know that the 555 and 595 are exactly the same, so think about what a rip that is. 
595 sold for $300 when they were released, right? 
If the 555 sells at $90 and Sennheiser is still making a profit, then the markup percentage on those is like 600%. 

If you like the 598 sound, I would definitely think about getting the 555 and modding it. 
Unless of course you are buying the headphones strictly for the white and brown aesthetics. 
It definitely looks cool. 

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
I had these for a week (impulse buy), and traded them with my brother for some audio equipment for my car instead.
They had a nice and airy sound, good mids and highs, but bass were terrible.
Also, the left cup rattled in fear of most hard-hitting bass-notes.
Rattling in one cup is terrible. Should be punishable by deaf. Uhmm...

And without an amp you won't be able to play loud from a portable source.

Hmmm...the mists of time are clearing...I see..I see deafness in your future....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back