Is having a tweeter and woofer that important in IEMs?
Nov 8, 2009 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bobby2131

Head-Fier
I'm starting to wonder if going from my q-JAYS (broken) to something without dual armature would be that big a drop off. I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money again on headphones (I don't listen to music on the go as much)

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 11
The the title question: Not important at all compared to having a good sound.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 11
At the initial phase you probably will notice something missing when you go for cheaper option - but eventually you will forget about it (from personal experience, plus humans' audio memory is not really that good).

The current best bang of bucks (for IEM) is on the $50~$100 region. If you pick a good IEM that match your taste in the region, I bet you will be happy about it without missing too much on the q-JAYS.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby2131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just worried if I got a cheaper route I might not get as good bass. I think that's what I'm most worried about compared to highs and mids.

It is not necessary to use a dual or triple setup for a headphone to do well in the low, or any other, frequencies. If bass is your prime concern, pick an earphone known for strong bass among the single-driver IEMs in your budget.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Personally, I switch from SF3 to Livewires Trips pretty often. It's kinda "refreshing", to notice the difference, and frankly, I can get used to either. But bass and isolation is important to me.

Is it thus true that dynamically driven IEMs would be more versatile than a single BA drive?

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 11
counting drivers seems not to be a good way to determine sound quality. judging the sonics of a complete design is.

let your ears be the judge, and pay less attention to the bullet points on the brochure!

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 11
The number of drivers indicates nothing. It is the implementation of said drivers that makes all the difference. I will say that many single driver earphones do lack broad frequency response extension, either on the top end, the bottom end, or both depending on design. Only a few budget level products extend so broadly. Will you notice if it's not there? Not really for the large part as long as the frequency response is smooth. What you're gaining with a dual or triple armature design is frequency response range. However, don't be automatically fooled into thinking that everything is heavenly the instant you step to a double or triple driver earphone. That alone guarantees nothing. It still takes the use of the right drivers and correct implementation to yield good results.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 11
I cannot hear the difference between a Triple Fi and my SF5-P. I can hardly tell the difference alone between these and my old SF3's unless I do a side by side or move onto a higher resolution format like FLAC or 320k/b MP3.

Does that make me stupid?

Maybe.

But then again, I also saved quite a bit of money. I smell Comply tips for a year!

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

I can hardly tell the difference alone between these and my old SF3's unless I do a side by side or move onto a higher resolution format like FLAC or 320k/b MP3.

Does that make me stupid?

No, but it makes your source suboptimal, probably. I'm running into tracks that once sounded good when all I listened to was 128kb on Ety 6is. Now that I mostly hear 320kb on RE0s, those old tracks sound so bad that I rip them over again at the higher bitrate.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 11
Zune or X-fi. Both are not subpar sources for a headphone of this grade are they? 128kb is audibly worse coming from anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back