Is Graham Slee really the only British portable amp manufacturer ?
Jan 19, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple254 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been to MK a couple of times, is that shop in Xscape?
I'm quite shocked by that price and I feel VERY sorry for anyone who bought them from there. I guess the reason I was looking at the Voyager si because it is in the UK and I would be spending the amount of money as advertised on the internet, rather than paying import tax which is a real bitch. Would the D3 perform as well as the Voyager amp wise?

No, it's not in Xscape. It's in Willen Local Centre ( MK15 9JL if you want to check out Google maps ).

If you buy from Meier Audio there is no tax to pay, and the Euro has gone down in relation to the Pound so it's cheaper. But the iBasso is cheaper still.

Corda 3Move = £202
iBasso D3 = £147

Steven.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Unfortunately I will not be able to get there. I will be in school!
frown.gif
And I live in North, North, North Surrey, so it looks like a no-go. I have read many Voyager reviews, I am sure it would be fine. Then again I should look at iBasso D3's. I wanted an Amp/DAC originally So I will just have to pay the import tax I guess
frown.gif

Not necessarily
wink_face.gif

If you were anywhere near Buckingham you could try my D3 and Sennheiser HD595's. They're a good combination.

Steven.

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #18 of 31
Well if you are buying from Meier you got to pay the VAT as we are part of the EU. You (swayne) are saying we don't have to pay in your previous post, but actually we have to pay. Am I wrong or is it a typo error on your part?

And you have quoted £147 for a D3 as it's going to cost $219+$28 = $247 ~ £172.72 @ $1.43/£1 exchange.

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you are buying from Meier you got to pay the VAT as we are part of the EU. You (swayne) are saying we don't have to pay in your previous post, but actually we have to pay. Am I wrong or is it a typo error on your part?

And you have quoted £147 for a D3 as it's going to cost $219+$28 = $247 ~ £172.72 @ $1.43/£1 exchange.

I agree, but we were talking about the iBasso D3.

Sorry, I forgot postage.

Steven.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #20 of 31
Hifi Headphones (a UK retailer and HeadFi sponsor) are listing some iBasso products but, like the manufacturer in China, they're out of stock at present.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Unfortunately I will not be able to get there. I will be in school!
frown.gif
And I live in North, North, North Surrey, so it looks like a no-go. I have read many Voyager reviews, I am sure it would be fine. Then again I should look at iBasso D3's. I wanted an Amp/DAC originally So I will just have to pay the import tax I guess
frown.gif

Years back SevenOaks in Guilford North Street (and presumeably al the others in the chain) let you audition Sennheiser phones. That was where I got my (no long gone) HD25-1

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruknd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have this amp? I've been looking for a portable that has a similar sound to my naim at home.

By "this amp" do you mean the iBasso D3?

I have an iBasso D3, but I've never had a naim so I can't compare the two.

Steven.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By "this amp" do you mean the iBasso D3?

I have an iBasso D3, but I've never had a naim so I can't compare the two.

Steven.

No, the Graham Slee. There is a certain common thread with british hifi such as Naim Limm and Rega. I think it has something to do with an emphasis on timing. I was hoping the Slee has the same qualities.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Does anyone have this amp? I've been looking for a portable that has a similar sound to my naim at home.

I had one and foolishly sold it. I'm currently saving up for a new one. Very nice, warm sound. Deep bass, no sacrifice with mids or highs. I loved the sound but didn't have a DAC to run it from so it was a waste plugging it straight into my laptop.

Some people don't like how it looks, but I like the plastic case. It feels durably and looks like some kind of weird recording equipment from the 70s.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

No, the Graham Slee. There is a certain common thread with british hifi such as Naim Limm and Rega. I think it has something to do with an emphasis on timing. I was hoping the Slee has the same qualities.

The Voyager was one of those I considered before I bought the D3. In the end I narrowed it down to the D3 and a Meier Corda 3Move and the D3 won on cost.

Now I have the D3 I use the DAC a lot. I've ripped all my CDs to flac files and play them from the computer instead of using my iPod. ( I don't get out much these days ).

Steven.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #28 of 31
I keep looking at getting a quality amp even though im happy with the e5 always looking for the bit better sound . the voyager looks great but my other half would murder me if i spent that sort of money (maybe in 2 yrs when the mortgage is paid
smile.gif
) i was a bit worried about the reliability of ibasso as well as the price, maybe a meier but the cheaper ones dont have the crossfeed.
btw on the Graham slee site this looks interesting;

Coming very soon to this website will be some of the best sounding audio kits ever known.

Coming shortly

DIY Headphone Amplifiers (including the kit version of the new Novo headphone amplifier. Prices from £80 [base kit] to £120 [inc. case and PSU] ex VAT)

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Coming very soon to this website will be some of the best sounding audio kits ever known.

Coming shortly

DIY Headphone Amplifiers (including the kit version of the new Novo headphone amplifier. Prices from £80 [base kit] to £120 [inc. case and PSU] ex VAT)

I wouldn't hold your breath, it's said that for a while now.

Steven.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't hold your breath, it's said that for a while now.

Steven.

ah well never mind
smile.gif

would like to hear the voyager ,maybe as they are based near they would let me try one out ,think id be abit gutted if i paid that much without a noticable differance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back