Is expensive dap worth it if I have <$200 headphones?
Jul 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pizzaonspeakers

New Head-Fier
What the title says.

I recently tried dx90 and wasn't too impressed with its improvement over my phone s3.

Someone mentioned it may be because of my headphones (FA-003Ti).

So if my headphone is <$200, is it worth going for dx90/X5 or even dx50/X3?

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 13
IMO, no. For the money, buying a better headphone will yield greater results as long as your music files are at least 256kbps mp3's.

The order of upgrades IMO goes something like this.
at least 256kbps mp3 > better headphones until summit-fi quality sound (like the he500)> amp > dac > cable >= higher bit rate songs.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 13
The lower your headphone's impedance, the less likely you will notice a difference.  Lower impedance = easier to drive.  So, it really depends on the headphone.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 13
I decided to return dx90 (will wait until I get better headphones or the price drops).

So now I'm thinking about clip zip. Is clip zip worth 40 rather than using s3?

I prefer my rockboxed clip over my phone in terms of sound quality. Playing music on your phone will drain the battery life faster too. And I've always hated having a cable attached to my phone.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 13
just load your spanking S3 fone with lossless music...
EQ to your taste ( if needed) on the headfone u have,
and ENJOY your music bro !!

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 13
What the title says.

I recently tried dx90 and wasn't too impressed with its improvement over my phone s3.

Someone mentioned it may be because of my headphones (FA-003Ti).

So if my headphone is <$200, is it worth going for dx90/X5 or even dx50/X3?

There will be some improvements, but not much - the headphones go a long way in terms of SQ. However, in your case since you're using an S3 to drive it, chances are that instead of going that far with the SQ improvement, the S3 might not be able to drive whatever you upgrade to. The only headphones I liked so far that the S3 can drive without an additional DAC-HPamp are the Oppo PM1, Sennheiser HD25-1, and a modded AKG K550. The K550 is actually my favorite given the comfort and slightly better isolation (given it's not as tight - the HD25 isolates by clamping harder) but the stock one sounds like a tin can with an almost non-existent bass guitar and a bass drum that sounds more like a light "thwuck" than a solid "thud." The modded one I got to try restored some of the low midrange and bass notes, enough for it to work well enough with the S3. If you're not up to modding get the HD25.

That or you can get the Westone 3-driver IEMs. On the multi-flange tips they sound worse than the K550 (but similar), but on the foam tips they're just right. Not sure if the latest versions come with the same tips but I suppose you can get some from Comply, although they do mek the sound a wee bit too warm.

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 13
i get this funny feeling Pizza will be on a headfone hunt not too soon from now..
thanks to headfi...ouchh$$$$  ..:p

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 13
So now I'm thinking about clip zip. Is clip zip worth 40 rather than using s3?

Only you can decide whether it's "worth" it or not in terms of sound quality.

However, for $40, the Zip might be worth it to have just as alternative to using up your phone battery.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 13
It will be better when you have better headphones and sources. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #12 of 13
  The order of upgrades IMO goes something like this.
at least 256kbps mp3 > better headphones until summit-fi quality sound (like the he500)> amp > dac > cable >= higher bit rate songs.

so you're saying he should only buy an amp after reaching the High end headphone level, or an small amp like the E6 is enough until then and an upgrade should only be done then? it's easier to explain this way:

1- I have a 100$ headphone, and no amp. I should only buy an amp after I get a high end headphone
2- I have a 100$ headphone. I should get a small amp (E6 or A10, whichever), then in the future upgrade my headphones while keeping that same amp, and only after getting a high end headphone, buy another amp.

I'm asking because I'm considering buying a Takstar Pro80, and I'm not sure it is worth getting an amp for it. And if I get one, can something like a E11, a E12 or a Topping NX1 be considered enough to any future upgrades (HE-400, for example)? I suppose the last amps are way too powerful/expensive to match those HP, so my only reason to buy them would be as a long term buy.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm asking because I'm considering buying a Takstar Pro80, and I'm not sure it is worth getting an amp for it. And if I get one, can something like a E11, a E12 or a Topping NX1 be considered enough to any future upgrades (HE-400, for example)? I suppose the last amps are way too powerful/expensive to match those HP, so my only reason to buy them would be as a long term buy.

You should probably start your own thread. The best combination of headphones and/or amp and/or dac is best determined by looking at someone's current equipment, how they intend to use the headphones, what headphones are being considered, and one's budget. Some headphones might benefit from an amp depending on the device it is hooked up to. Others might not. Sometimes it might be better to spend one's budget all on headphones. No easy generalization is going to give you the answer you seek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back