Is everyone dumping their SinglePower amps?
Aug 27, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #31 of 39
How's that Space Tech amp working out SACD?
I've had an itch to try it.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's that Space Tech amp working out SACD?
I've had an itch to try it.

Not bad .... stock the amp was a little dark for my taste. Consequently, I used a couple of SP tube socket adapters to change the 6sn7 to a 6cg7 /6gu7 .... which are brighter, cleaner sounding tubes. That gave the amp more neutrality and speed with Senns.

My only gripe is I bought this transformer coupled amp to use with low impedance Grados etc.... However, the amp hums noticeably with the Grados. So, I am forced to use my Senn 580/600s with the amp. The stock tubes and Grados probably would have mated well if I didnt have hum issues. Dont think just because a tube amp amp is transformer coupled the amp will automatically do best with low impedances. Of all my transformer coupled amps .... only my Sound Quest SQ-84 really works well with low impedances.

The Space Tech at its best (with Senns) is very smooth, slightly warm, has a well defined soundstage and is very easy and enjoyable to listen to. But, the amps dynamic contrast, transparency and overall resolution does not match the SP OTLs.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Space Tech at its best (with Senns) is very smooth, slightly warm, has a well defined soundstage and is very easy and enjoyable to listen to. But, the amps dynamic contrast, transparency and overall resolution does not match the SP OTLs.

Thanks SACD; I think you may have helped cure the itch if not totally the curiosity.
wink_face.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #34 of 39
Add me to the list of people who has no plans to sell his SP amps. I know SP has some serious issues organizationally/administratively, but I really love both my MPX3 and my Extreme. I wish someone with a lot of cash and strong management experience would buy Singlepower and turn them around, because I do like the amps they produce.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish someone with a lot of cash and strong management experience would buy Singlepower and turn them around, because I do like the amps they produce.

That would indeed seem to be what is required at this point for a lot of people to want to direct their cash SPs way in the near future.

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #36 of 39
I sold mine here recently, so I'll answer the question. The reason is simple...I was laid off my job in Feb., and still no job prospects here in late August. Even a great sounding unit like the MPX Slam pales in comparison to the sound an empty stomach and the landlord knocking at your door wanting money for the roof he's put over your head.

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold mine here recently, so I'll answer the question. The reason is simple...I was laid off my job in Feb., and still no job prospects here in late August. Even a great sounding unit like the MPX Slam pales in comparison to the sound an empty stomach and the landlord knocking at your door wanting money for the roof he's put over your head.

Sorry to hear that Beav .... life can be really tough sometimes. But have faith and dont give up and things will turn around. I hope for the best for you.

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #38 of 39
Beav,
I hope and pray that your situation improves all-around. The necessities--and vicissitudes--of life have a way of bringing the hierarchy of values into bold relief. Please keep us posted.
PAB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back