Is Chord Mojo any good for my setup?
May 31, 2016 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jackgu1988

New Head-Fier
I am considering getting a Chord Mojo. Since its price is pretty high, I'd like to be sure that I am getting something that is worth the amount.

I am mainly using a FiiO x5ii and a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini for music reproduction. When I am at home I use either Sennheiser HD 598 or Audioengine A5+ speakers. When I am on the move I use Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii or SoundMagic e50.

I am looking to improve the sound quality that I get from this setup.

Will Chord Mojo give a significant boost, worth its money, or I need better equipment to get something out of it?

Thanks.

May 31, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 13
I am considering getting a Chord Mojo. Since its price is pretty high, I'd like to be sure that I am getting something that is worth the amount.

I am mainly using a FiiO x5ii and a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini for music reproduction. When I am at home I use either Sennheiser HD 598 or Audioengine A5+ speakers. When I am on the move I use Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii or SoundMagic e50.

I am looking to improve the sound quality that I get from this setup.

Will Chord Mojo give a significant boost, worth its money, or I need better equipment to get something out of it?

Thanks.
It will greatly improve your music. I use it mostly (85%) with a phone on the go. Pros: great sound, Cons: 6 to 7 hrs battery life and heavy (compared to other portable amps).

May 31, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 13
It will greatly improve your music. I use it mostly (85%) with a phone on the go. Pros: great sound, Cons: 6 to 7 hrs battery life and heavy (compared to other portable amps).

Thank you very much for your answer!

The weight and the battery are not big issues for me. My main concern was whether my equipment is able to reproduce the improved sound quality to an extent that it makes it worth buying
normal_smile .gif

May 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 13

May 31, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 13
The Mojo is one of those pieces of audio gear that I expect some people will have for a long, long time. It's cheap enough that more of the masses will be able to afford one and it's good enough that you won't find much better until you move up in price by a fair margin. It's versatility means you can use it on the go and it's quality means you can use it at home as your main setup. Even with lower end headphones the difference should be noticeable but I'd expect as you move up to more resolving gear you'll really get to see what it can do.

May 31, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 13
  The Mojo is one of those pieces of audio gear that I expect some people will have for a long, long time. It's cheap enough that more of the masses will be able to afford one and it's good enough that you won't find much better until you move up in price by a fair margin. It's versatility means you can use it on the go and it's quality means you can use it at home as your main setup. Even with lower end headphones the difference should be noticeable but I'd expect as you move up to more resolving gear you'll really get to see what it can do.

+1

May 31, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 13
You already have a X5 II, I would advise to invest in better headphones before you change your DAC/AMP. Go for a HD 600/650 before you go for a Mojo or something of the sort.

May 31, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 13
  You already have a X5 II, I would advise to invest in better headphones before you change your DAC/AMP. Go for a HD 600/650 before you go for a Mojo or something of the sort.

Thank you for your suggestion. The problem with open-back headphones is that I cannot really use them at the office or public places, where I spend most of my time (that's why I started looking for more soundproof headphones and I decided to get HD25-1 ii). If I go for headphones, I would go for something that doesn't leak and preferably not in-ear, because they become  very uncomfortable after some time.

May 31, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 13

Thank you for your suggestion. The problem with open-back headphones is that I cannot really use them at the office or public places, where I spend most of my time (that's why I started looking for more soundproof headphones and I decided to get HD25-1 ii). If I go for headphones, I would go for something that doesn't leak and preferably not in-ear, because they become  very uncomfortable after some time.

The mojo will be a very noticeable improvement. I fully recommend it. I own just about every portable amp/dac in production and in my opinion the mojo beats them all out handily.

Jun 4, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 13

I agreed with him. From my experience, I do not think that you will get much out of Mojo from the set up. Fiio X5 (2nd gen) is more than enough to drive all your headphones.

However, for the speakers, you might want to invest into a nice DAC and I think you will be all set!

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #12 of 13
I agreed with him. From my experience, I do not think that you will get much out of Mojo from the set up. Fiio X5 (2nd gen) is more than enough to drive all your headphones.

However, for the speakers, you might want to invest into a nice DAC and I think you will be all set!

Yes, driving the headphones is not an issue. Most of the reviews regarding the mojo praise its extreme boost on sound quality. This is my main concern.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 13
The Mojo is a great DAC and amp. I don't know your cans so I don't know if they will be able to justify the increased sound quality or not. I like one of the other posters would upgrade headphones first as that is most important link in the chain. Maybe have a look at Oppo PM-3 or one of my favorites that I don't own (yet) is the Meze 99 classics they are very good for $300 usd they are hard to beat. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back