Is burn in real or placebo?
May 10, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #481 of 897

Of course. As pads get softer and you wear the headphones more, you get a better seal, which undoubtedly improves sound quality. My SA5000s had no bass when they were new, with time the pads got softer and now I got a perfect seal and the bass is much much more present.

Obviously measurements will tell you otherwise, but then again putting a microphone in between the pads is not a good way to measurement frequency response of headphones dependent on good seal.

yeah, I heard this before.  The pads do get soft over time, and your ears get closer to the drivers as time goes on, and loses the vice-grip-ness to your head. lol.  There are lots of things that can affect the sound from my experience such as the type of pads used(it can dampen the sound depending on the material), and for iems, fit and tips(type of material used, complies or silicones) makes a significant difference.

I know your brain adjust to the sound over time also.  Way to really notice the difference in SQ is switch the phones quickly, but other than that even if you go to lower quality headphones, your ears adjust to the sound over time, and could sound better.  

May 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #483 of 897
Sure they do. Sound leaking instead of bouncing off the pads is an issue even with open backs, depending on the type of pads. Certainly if we're talking about grados, there isn't much of a seal to begin with, but for the SA5ks, the seal matters.

May 11, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #487 of 897
Well, even with the 600. The seal is also important, not just the pads' material's reflective properties. My DT990s' pads also benefit from a good seal. It's not like foam pads absorb 100% of what comes out of the drivers.

May 11, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #488 of 897
I accept the point that you are making. I am amazed how much the 600's leak though. I could almost use them as speakers!

May 22, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #489 of 897
  Sure they do. Sound leaking instead of bouncing off the pads is an issue even with open backs, depending on the type of pads. Certainly if we're talking about grados, there isn't much of a seal to begin with, but for the SA5ks, the seal matters.

Agreed. Also note how various foam pads for grados affect the sound signature quite a bit as well. It's all about how close to the ear they are etc with foam non-sealing pads as opposed to the seal that they really don't make. Even foam pads tho, change over time, slowly seating the drivers closer to your ears as they change shape and conform to your head.

May 30, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #494 of 897

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #495 of 897
Sorry guys.  I believe in burn-in now.  Something ridiculous happened with my new BA CIEMs.  If I explain it, you'll just shake your head even more.  Any material science or physics majors here help me out?  
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back