Is Beyerdynamic DT 660 really as good as T1? (for classical music)
Sep 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MorrisL

100+ Head-Fier
In his popular thread, a head-fi forum member with the nickname DavidMahler makes a curious claim about DT 660 being "on par" with T1, as long as it is used for classical music. This is of serious interest to me, since I ONLY listen to classical music, and if his opinion was true for me as well, then that would mean I could get a 140-dollar headphone perform as well as a flagship headphone for 10 times the price.

I wonder why I can't find other people elsewhere on the web or here on this website claiming the same grandiose value for DT 660. The only people who mention anything about it being an ideal choice for classical are people who were obviously influenced by DavidMahler's thread. I would love to see reviews and comments coming from those who reached a similar conclusion independently. 

DavidMahler seems to be a real master of the trade and I admire his well-written, detailed reviews, but this just sounds too good to be true and unfortunately at this point I am in a country where I can't find a place to audition DT 660. Is it really that good?

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 13
No--DM ranks the DT 660 at #42 and the T1 at #14.  While the DT660 presents a excellent value to many, it is not of flagship class.  Further it is a closed can and the T1 is open with one of the largest sound stages on the market.

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 13
  No--DM ranks the DT 660 at #42 and the T1 at #14.  While the DT660 presents a excellent value to many, it is not of flagship class.  Further it is a closed can and the T1 is open with one of the largest sound stages on the market.

Thanks for the response. What you say is true, but it doesn't address my question, I'm afraid. DT 660 is obviously not of flagship class and I know it's a closed headphone (I actually want it closed; I already have DT 990). Still, none of that prevented DavidMahler from putting the following sentiment in words: "For my enjoyment, these do classical better than DT770, DT880, DT990 and is on par with the T1 and T5P in classical. The T5P which I reviewed as a classical portable, I feel now is perhaps eclipsed by the DT660." 

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 13
  I suspect that there is no answer and no substitute for hearing them yourself with the music you prefer.

And since that won't be possible for some time, I decided that a similarly enthusiastic opinion by some others (other than DavidMahler) would be good enough for me to consider buying DT 660.

Notice what a big deal that would be if it were true that DT 660 (at $140) is as good a headphone as T1 (at $1100) for classical music, which is all I listen to. This is a question definitely worth raising, especially considering the suspiciously small reputation of DT 660. (Besides a few amazon reviews and some other brief comments here and there, you'd be hard pressed to even find any detailed information on these, except for DavidMahler's gushing report and the comments that have been influenced by it. It's so obscure a headphone that headroom.com doesn't even carry its frequency response curve image.)

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 13
DT150 is a CLOSED can...the 880/990 are OPEN cans.
But i still prefer the DT150 for a more intimate, controlled listening ambience...
it didnt lose out much in terms of spaciousness. 
Balanced n impactful sounding..i enjoyed classicals on this can.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 13
I know they're open (and being so, ideal for classical music), but even given that, DavidMahler puts DT660 (a closed headphone) on the same level with T1, for classical, and says they perform better than both 880 and 990.

When you say you prefer them for classical, do you mean you prefer them over 880/990 and T1?

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 13
ya... i do, it has a tall huge broad deep soundstage...v engaging "not too bright not too thin" natural tonality. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks. You really got me excited about DT 150 but before I became too obsessed with it, I found that it's 250ohm. I wanted something to easily switch between portable sources and to use in a studio recording instruments, as well as enjoying music on a laptop late at night (so as not to bother anyone). 

Comfort is another concern. DT 150 just doesn't look like it's nearly as comfortable as the other DT siblings, most of which feel like two teddy bears on your ears.  

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 13
The yamaha MT220 should fit the bill...sound similar to dt150:D

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 13
DT660 plays string very nicely, is dull with piano, and painful for organ. So it's an acceptable choice for orchestral and chamber, but not for other subgenres. It depends if versatility matters to you.

I recommend Yoga CD990 OEMs such as HM5 and XPT100 instead. Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back