Is anyone here into amateur radio?
Aug 31, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #16 of 40
fractus2, I recommend getting the Passport to Worldband Radio (http://www.passband.com/) to get not only a good frequency guide for what's on and when, but they have excellent reviews on nearly every currently sold shortwave radio out there.

Aug 31, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
fractus2, I recommend getting the Passport to Worldband Radio (http://www.passband.com/) to get not only a good frequency guide for what's on and when, but they have excellent reviews on nearly every currently sold shortwave radio out there.

Thanks donovan. I'll check that out. There is a wealth of reviews and information on the net. I like the discussion forums and usenet newsgroups where you can see the debate and get a feel for a particular [poster's] expertise. I'm really leaning toward the iCOM IC-R75 right now. We are heading up to Akihabara to check out the ham and amateur radio stores up there.

Sep 5, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #18 of 40
Well I went with the iCOM IC-R75 with the AOR WL500 active loop antenna with the 500LM MW/LW element. Radio will be sent directly to Kiwa Electronics for the Synchronous Detector, Audio, and R75 filter upgrades. The Usenet groups and Craig at Kiwa say that iCOM should more than likely honor any warranty issues even with the upgrades/mods. [Getting the IC-R75 from Grove Enterprises (pic linked to them). Majority of dealer reviews were good]

Sep 5, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #19 of 40
Nice choices! The AOR antenna looks interesting, I'd never even heard of it. I'm still a big believer in old fashioned outdoor longwires when practical (they just plain seem to pick up the most stuff, and cost very little too) but that should work well. Have fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #20 of 40
My next antenna will more than likely be an outside wire or an attic loop. This may be my introduction into Ham for after I retire. Another 'sorry about your wallet' story it seems.

beverage.jpg

Sep 6, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 40
BTW, for anyone interested, here are some pics from my trip up to Akihabara (Electric Town). While researching into this hobby I came across a site with pictures of Rocket Radio in Akihabara, so my wife and I hopped on the express. There even was a radio museum on the third floor.

I'm sure some of the DIYs here would be in hog heaven in Akihabara. There was one shop I came across in one of the "alleys" of mini store fronts that sold tubes and they had pictures of some very old looking tube amplifiers. Even the old ones had the raised tubes on the outside it seems (didn't know that). There is a photo of a cool battery tester I got below (#1 is for D cells, 2.3 for AA, 4 = AAA, 5 ?, and 6P for 9V). The three leds light up for fully charged (about 980 yen = $9.60).

Rocket Radio
IC-R75
Museum
battery tester

Sep 6, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #22 of 40
Oooh... nice pics -- I love the colorfulness and liveliness of Asian markets.

For those having problems seeing the pictures, click on fractus2's links as you normally would... then click the "IE" icon on the left side of your browser's Address bar, drag it a little to the right, then drop it back into the address bar -- Presto.

Sep 6, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
My next antenna will more than likely be an outside wire or an attic loop. This may be my introduction into Ham for after I retire. Another 'sorry about your wallet' story it seems.

beverage.jpg

Now that's the antenna I want to have
very_evil_smiley.gif

The ICOM R75 is suppossed to be quite a nice radio especially for utility listening, although that sync detector mod should help tremendously with broadcast listening. I might get back into some SWL once I get an outdoor longwire set up again. Hope you enjoy your new radio
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #24 of 40
I've had the IC-R75 for a few days now and it's a very well made radio. I had it shipped from Grove to Kiwa for the audio and filter mods. I also got the CW 40LP antenna and have a MFJ two position switcher with the AOR WL500. All of the reviews I've read are true about this radio's sensitivity and value. With the Kiwa filter and S-AM upgrades you can hear the improved signal reception.

Now I can see an upgrade to a true tabletop receiver in my future. Here's one candidate (photos are linked):

Ten-Tec RX-340. A true DSP receiver, touted as an expensive ($3950.00) military grade receiver. Definitely the cadillac of dt receivers.

Watkins Johnson WJ-8711/HF-1000 Series DSP HF Receiver. This one is not made anymore, but may be "the best" commercial receiver around ($5400.00). Think the last one was made in 1999.

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #26 of 40
A friend of mine (local) has the R8B.

Sweet, sweet receiver in every sense of the word (well, audio quality isn't great out of the stock speaker, but easily remedied -- other than that, this radio is a bargain for what it sells for... you'd have to go up multiple thousands to beat it imo).

Sep 24, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #27 of 40
WOW fractus2 !!

You are going serious !!! Congrats.

It's contagius.... after talking to you about this old "mania" that I used to have, I bought a small Yatch Boy 400 for playing around...

I also have a Kenwood TS 440 transceiver that will be "reactivated" as receiver.

Best

Ari

Sep 25, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #28 of 40
fractus 2, congrats on the Icom R75. I've used plenty of thier ham gear and it's always been great.
Have you found anything interesting on the air in Asia? North Korea is on 6400khz
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 7:41 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
A friend of mine (local) has the R8B.

Sweet, sweet receiver in every sense of the word (well, audio quality isn't great out of the stock speaker, but easily remedied -- other than that, this radio is a bargain for what it sells for... you'd have to go up multiple thousands to beat it imo).

Fewtch, Lots of great reviews on this Drake. The more you dig in the Usenet groups the more feedback you get on each unit. These guys are as tough on gear as we are on headphones, and then some. It's fun to see the recurring themes though, with the R8B it's the case, buttons, and speaker. Bottom line, an outstanding unit with lots of suggestions for improvement.
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
It's contagius.... after talking to you about this old "mania" that I used to have, I bought a small Yatch Boy 400 for playing around...

I also have a Kenwood TS 440 transceiver that will be "reactivated" as receiver.

Ari, Congrats on the YB, I've read some great reviews on that portable. Sounds like you are a Ham? I'd like to get my license one day.
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff
fractus 2, congrats on the Icom R75. I've used plenty of thier ham gear and it's always been great.
Have you found anything interesting on the air in Asia? North Korea is on 6400khz
smily_headphones1.gif

Jeff, Lots of activity from around SE Asia. Even though iCOM's a Japanese company, they do have a fairly large presence in the states, one of the reasons why I went with them.

Oct 3, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #30 of 40
Well after running my Carolina Windom 40 LP wire antenna up around my second story computer room I was getting some stations but was rather disappointed with the reception. I knew the cure would be to run an outdoor wire as that's the standard answer in rec.radio.shortwave. So the other day I took the longer half of the 40LP and sloped it down to the backyard fence. Now I'm getting amazing reception! I actually ordered the WRTH radio handbook at Ari's suggestion but it got lost in the mail and I'm stuck with a refund. But I did get Passport to World Band Radio and this book is very useful. I can look up freqs while dx'ng and also look up programs based on what UTC time it is. Great radio reviews too.

Now that I've gotten my feet wet the upgrade bug can't be far behind. The Drake tabletop receivers have always impressed me and there is an R8 on ebay that looks like it could be a good deal. Anyone ever use an R8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back