Is anyone here into amateur radio?
Aug 29, 2003 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings. I'm not planning to get into HAM but am in the market for a short wave radio receiver. I already have a portable Sony ICF-SW7600 and want to get a better receiver.

Are there any good forums for noobs to learn about the hobby?

I'm looking at the Yaesu FRG-100 right now. I found a few radio forums (I always look for the vBulletin as I like the format and feel). One link I found had several mods you can get to improve reception, sound, and it reminded me of Head-Fi.

Anyway, my noob question would be do I need to get a separate antenna for this unit? And if so what kind? Thanks.

confused.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 40
I used to be really big into shortwave listening/DX'ing, but haven't been for quite awhile (got a Sony 7600G sitting up in the closet). The Internet just took over all my interest...

I think you would need a separate antenna with the Yaesu, if there's no attached whip antenna. Depending on where you live, you might be able to get away with an indoor active antenna. Check out:

http://www.universal-radio.com/

Lots of good stuff, including active antennas and various other indoor and outdoor types. At least it could give you an idea of what's available and prices for various things.

Aug 29, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
Thanks fewtch, found that during my google sojourn. Do you know of any radio forums, or a specific antenna to use with the FRG0100?

I wouldn't know of a specific antenna to use with any specific radio (no such thing really, except with a few portables).

If the radio isn't subject to easy front-end overloading from strong signals, an outdoor longwire (50 ft. or longer) or dipole would be best for weak signal reception... length is typically what counts the most -- that, and string it up as high as possible away from noise sources like power lines.

If you don't have room (or live in an apartment), there are indoor antenna options as well (let me know, I might be able to make a few suggestions).

Have you been by rec.radio.shortwave on Usenet? There's the usual Usenet infighting and arguing there (and a lot of nonsense threads) but you may be able to get some good advice, there are a lot of old-timers with tons of collective experience. The vbulletin-type forums make for nice browsing, but there are often a lot more noobs and less hard knowledge -- check out rec.radio.shortwave if you can.

Aug 30, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Have you been by rec.radio.shortwave on Usenet? There's the usual Usenet infighting and arguing there (and a lot of nonsense threads) but you may be able to get some good advice, there are a lot of old-timers with tons of collective experience. The vbulletin-type forums make for nice browsing, but there are often a lot more noobs and less hard knowledge -- check out rec.radio.shortwave if you can.

Thanks, didn't think of newsgroups.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Aug 30, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Mikhail
I've been a HAM since the 80's. Here are some sites that might be of interest:

http://www.arrl.org

for Dx'ing:

http://dx.qsl.net/

You can also find a local chapter or radio club in your area by lookling in the arrl directory.

Great sites Mikhail, thanks!
cool.gif

Now I'm looking at the Satellit 800, Drake SW-8, or the SRF-100. You can really see when the internet started to take over newsgroups/usenet with the [article] dates. Most of the posts are 2000 or much earlier. A wealth of information though.

Aug 30, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
Greetings. I'm not planning to get into HAM but am in the market for a short wave radio receiver. I already have a portable Sony ICF-SW7600 and want to get a better receiver.

Are there any good forums for noobs to learn about the hobby?

I'm looking at the Yaesu FRG-100 right now. I found a few radio forums (I always look for the vBulletin as I like the format and feel). One link I found had several mods you can get to improve reception, sound, and it reminded me of Head-Fi.

Anyway, my noob question would be do I need to get a separate antenna for this unit? And if so what kind? Thanks.

confused.gif

I used to be into DX'ing a while back, and I may get back into it once I get my outdoor antenna set up again. I found a wealth of information on usenet at rec.radio.shortwave. There is a lot of crap there, but you can still find a lot of good info. Folks like fcathell and Ross Archer are very nice, and will offer a lot of newbies or people getting back into shortwave quite a lot of help. I drop by there occasionally, although I rarely post any more.

I have a RadioShack DX-396, RadioShack DX-390, and Ten-Tec RX320 (a computer controlled reciever). The RX320 is easily my favorite, and the audio quality is pretty good with it too, not to mention it is incredibly powerful. If you don't mind it being computer controlled, and your computer has good RF shielding it is a great receiver. I have read a lot of good things about the FRG-100 and the Drake R8's are almost top of the line (the Watkins-Johnson and Ten-Tec RX340 make up the super high-end).

For an antenna, a simple outdoor longwire is the easiest and one of the best, as well as one of the least expensive.

I hope you enjoy getting into that hobby. It is a lot like headphones, though, and you can still feel very sorry for your wallet
wink.gif

Edit: I just looked at Google Groups and searched for my posts at rec.radio.shortwave. I didn't realize I had so many posts there. http://groups.google.com/groups?q=gr...asolutions.com

Aug 30, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
I have a RadioShack DX-396, RadioShack DX-390, and Ten-Tec RX320 (a computer controlled reciever). The RX320 is easily my favorite, and the audio quality is pretty good with it too, not to mention it is incredibly powerful. If you don't mind it being computer controlled, and your computer has good RF shielding it is a great receiver. I have read a lot of good things about the FRG-100 and the Drake R8's are almost top of the line (the Watkins-Johnson and Ten-Tec RX340 make up the super high-end).

For an antenna, a simple outdoor longwire is the easiest and one of the best, as well as one of the least expensive.

Thanks donovan. I still need to read up about antennas.
cool.gif

Aug 30, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 40
Kind of narrowing it down to a few models. I've learned from Usenet that the Radio Netherlands reviews are highly respected. It's very similar to this headphone forum: opinionated views, upgraditis, mods, etc. Pics are linked to reviews.

Grundig Satellit 800:

Sony ICF-2010:

Yaesu FRG-100B:

Aug 30, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 40
Their reviews are quite good, and their radio program is also quite good, along with Deutsche Welle it was one of my favorite shortwave programs. Actually, for something other than news I preferred Radio Netherlands. Radio Havana Cuba has an interesting show hosted by Arnie Coro who talks about various things about shortwave radio listening (don't remember the name of the program, though). And China Radio International has some interesting programs too, except their news is expectedly leaned towards communist views (just as is Radio Havana Cuba's nws programs) and they also offer to send out bi-monthly newsletters, which offer some good reading about Chinese culture. Lots of interesting stuff on that part of the radio spectrum...

Aug 30, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
Their reviews are quite good, and their radio program is also quite good, along with Deutsche Welle it was one of my favorite shortwave programs. Actually, for something other than news I preferred Radio Netherlands. Radio Havana Cuba has an interesting show hosted by Arnie Coro who talks about various things about shortwave radio listening (don't remember the name of the program, though). And China Radio International has some interesting programs too, except their news is expectedly leaned towards communist views (just as is Radio Havana Cuba's nws programs) and they also offer to send out bi-monthly newsletters, which offer some good reading about Chinese culture. Lots of interesting stuff on that part of the radio spectrum...

One reason (aside from the Net) why I don't do shortwave anymore is the deterioration in both quality and quantity of shortwave stations and programming. Almost seems like the airwaves have been taken over by radical nutsy talk show hosts and religious programming (nothing wrong with the latter, but I'm not into it). Also, a lot of stations have cut way back on their English language programming, and interesting cultural stuff as well (budgets, budgets...). The stuff you mention seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I don't think there's enough left on the shortwave bands to sustain my interest, unless I was mainly into utility DX'ing or listening to HAMs shoot the breeze.

The end of the cold war dealt shortwave broadcasting a big blow, and the Internet dealt it an even bigger one. Maybe I really ought to turn on my radio once in awhile, while there's still someone out there transmitting...
frown.gif

Aug 30, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

One reason (aside from the Net) why I don't do shortwave anymore is the deterioration in both quality and quantity of shortwave stations and programming. Almost seems like the airwaves have been taken over by radical nutsy talk show hosts and religious programming (nothing wrong with the latter, but I'm not into it). Also, a lot of stations have cut way back on their English language programming, and interesting cultural stuff as well (budgets, budgets...). The stuff you mention seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Quote:

I don't think there's enough left on the shortwave bands to sustain my interest, unless I was mainly into utility DX'ing or listening to HAMs shoot the breeze.

The end of the cold war dealt shortwave broadcasting a big blow, and the Internet dealt it an even bigger one. Maybe I really ought to turn on my radio once in awhile, while there's still someone out there transmitting...
frown.gif

Huh?
confused.gif
First you say that nothings on, then you might check to see if somethings on.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 30, 2003 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 40
Hey fractus2

Kenwood receivers used to be better than yaesus on reception. More filtering options, more audio quality. You should look for then before your decision. Drakes are also venerables for it's reception.

Here some good books.

Best

Ari

Users who are viewing this thread

Back