Is anyone else sick of Antares Autotune?
Sep 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #16 of 25
What is the purpose of this? I mean, if I'm a record company, why do I bother with this stuff rather than just finding someone who can actually sing to begin with?

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the purpose of this? I mean, if I'm a record company, why do I bother with this stuff rather than just finding someone who can actually sing to begin with?

Record companies don't "find" people anymore. Once a band gets big enough in its hometown, they have a shot at having a label rep come listen to them at a showcase.

One of the major determining factors is whether or not the artist is able to get butts in seats. Autotune or otherwise, record companies respond to what people already like. It's far easier to pander to existing preferences than to establish new ones.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #19 of 25
I have to sit at work and hear top 40 assault my ears with Auto tune drenched vocals. I didn't mind so much when it just started but damn it is like on every damn pop song now! I can't believe so call artists no matter how bad they are, are all using it. What happened to having your own style or sound? It is embarrassing!

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else not listen to the radio enough to be inundated with this crap?

wait, radio is still being used?

seriously?

wink.gif
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Autotune the Newwws!!
biggrin.gif

the latest edition of ATtN features a VERY SPECIAL GUEST!

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be a stickler, that is actually a vocoder, not autotune.

I noticed on some of the later ones that it couldn't be autotune, simple because someone would hit different notes while saying the same thing.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #24 of 25
If it's only tuned to the nearest half step you would only get more subtle sounding effects from it, but it can be mapped to whatever pitch. With a vocoder, the news would trigger filters which apply to another signal. Then you don't have really the original voice at all, but can still understand what they say (e.g. Beastie Boys "Intergalactic"). With the tune effect the original vocal quality is still there, but gets weird sounding the further the original pitch is away from the corrected pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back