Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
Jun 3, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #271 of 499
I know people that have given up their dact for the khozmo. I have never heard the Khozmo but was about to buy it but did not due to reading about its problems.. I have consequently gone back to buying the DACT.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #272 of 499
Victor from my discoveries on the weekend the DACT proved to be vastly superior. I can honestly say I hadn’t heard my KGSSHV until yesterday - it was a revelation. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #273 of 499
Quote:
I like amb's thing better.
Both are going to be too big for your chassis.

Yes the AMB δ1 relay-based stereo R-2R attenuator looks nice. Especialy with a remote control and a LCD display
popcorn.gif

I could build it in it's own box, essentialy in between the source and the KGSSHV, kind of like a portable digital volume control?

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #274 of 499
Quote:
Victor from my discoveries on the weekend the DACT proved to be vastly superior. I can honestly say I hadn’t heard my KGSSHV until yesterday - it was a revelation. 

Interesting. 

I liked the Khozmo myself. BUt preferred the TKD over it. 

I am considering springing for a RK50 or a P&G RF15 for my stat amp.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #275 of 499
Quote:
I know people that have given up their dact for the khozmo. I have never heard the Khozmo but was about to buy it but did not due to reading about its problems.. I have consequently gone back to buying the DACT.

I have not heard the DACT, but apart from the popping while turning the knob, it honestly sounds really good.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #276 of 499
I have been experiencing some strange background noise, almost like a slight hollow noise in quite scenes on movies, the noise goes away if the Khozmo is turned up to almost full volume and the DAC (or Realiser) is turned down.

What kind of interference is this? Is there to much gain from the DAC, or is the Khozmo a superior Attenuator to the digital volume control in the Realiser?

I also experienced this with the XLR outputs from the external DAC i had tried previously.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #277 of 499
Quote:
I have been experiencing some strange background noise, almost like a slight hollow noise in quite scenes on movies, the noise goes away if the Khozmo is turned up to almost full volume and the DAC (or Realiser) is turned down.

What kind of interference is this? Is there to much gain from the DAC, or is the Khozmo a superior Attenuator to the digital volume control in the Realiser?

I also experienced this with the XLR outputs from the external DAC i had tried previously.

Sounds like a problem with the Khozmo to me? If the Khozmo is turned all the way up it is essentially going to no resistance or taking itself out of the signal path.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #278 of 499
Quote:

Sounds like a problem with the Khozmo to me? If the Khozmo is turned all the way up it is essentially going to no resistance or taking itself out of the signal path.

Would it be advisable to remove the Khozmo and connect the inputs directly to the channel board for testing purposes?

or

Use not Pot at all?

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #279 of 499
Quote:

Try bypassing the attenuator completely and see if you can hear noise with no input connected. 

I’m hedging my bets on Khozmo as being the culprit, I did this with my build I found the Khozmo was exceedingly noisy.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #281 of 499
Quote:

Try bypassing the attenuator completely and see if you can hear noise with no input connected. 

I’m hedging my bets on Khozmo as being the culprit, I did this with my build I found the Khozmo was exceedingly noisy.

Ok, I'll try it out, really wish the Khozmo was not hyped up so much, a more well known supplier would have been preferable.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #282 of 499
[size=12.0px]It’s probably a good idea to short the inputs out when testing without a pot. [/size]
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #284 of 499
Quote:
Your going to have to explain in simple terms for this noobie :)

Simple. Connect ground and +/- inputs together ie shorted, this in effect is the same as having a connected volume pot turned all the way down. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #285 of 499
I already tested it, works good, sounds good, but there is interference from the Transformer, is there anyway to counteract this without building a seperate power supply box?

Mumetal casing are expensive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back