Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
May 31, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #256 of 499
Quote:
If you use RCA you will probably ground the cold portion, which means there will be no signal from the cold. This leaves only the hot to provide the signal, therefore only have half the board pumping up the signal.

The amp is fully balanced like most stat amps, you will get a balanced output even with a single ended input, it doesn't matter.

May 31, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #257 of 499
Quote:
Sad to hear there are more and more problems with the Khozmos... My friend just got one of his B22's channels burnt because of a short to ground in his Khozmo.

A short to ground from inputs shouldn’t cause this problem. The outputs on the other hand.....

May 31, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #258 of 499
Quote:

I'm pretty sure you get a balanced output no matter what input you use, using XLR just means double the output voltage, which doesn't really make a difference.

Not exactly.  Se input to balanced output causes a differential gain of about 2%.

Balanced input is much better for stax amps.

May 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #259 of 499
Highly recommend going either the TKD route or spring for the Penny and Giles RF15 or ALPS RK50.

There is the KG attenuator as well if you can lay your hands on one which would work out to about $220-250 i believe.

May 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #261 of 499
Quote:

Not exactly.  Se input to balanced output causes a differential gain of about 2%.

Balanced input is much better for stax amps.

Just make sure that the source is actually balanced.  Way too many designers have used SE output stages with nasty opamp phase splitters to drive the balanced outputs.  This is also true of some very expensive gear... 

May 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #262 of 499
Quote:

Just make sure that the source is actually balanced.  Way too many designers have used SE output stages with nasty opamp phase splitters to drive the balanced outputs.  This is also true of some very expensive gear... 

The Matrix uses a phase splitter, it's going up on ebay, ignorance was bliss.
blink.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #263 of 499
Got a refund on the Matrix, back to the original plan building the Buffalo Dac.

Anybody know how good the Joshua Tree is? http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/control/jt.aspx

And how well it would be with the KGSSHV.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #264 of 499
joshua tree is very good.  Not constant impedance, which is just plain stupid.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #266 of 499
Very nice. Would you mind posting a closer picture of the DACT connections and also the Stax jack?
I see you grounded your pot directly to the star ground.
Some people have recommended not to because the body is already grounded directly to the ground panel.

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #268 of 499
Thanks guys!
Quote:
Very nice. Would you mind posting a closer picture of the DACT connections and also the Stax jack?
I see you grounded your pot directly to the star ground.
Some people have recommended not to because the body is already grounded directly to the ground panel.

There’s really nothing in it, as both positions (star ground and the DACT body) have the same potential.

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #270 of 499
I like amb's thing better.
Both are going to be too big for your chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back