Is anyone building Duet breakout cables?
May 16, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need to file it all the way. Leave enough to hold everything in place. No epoxy required. For eight months it's solid. A while back I posted pictures.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4675929-post3140.html

Thanks. So you filed it down at an angle so that there would be some metal left to hold everything in place? Otherwise I don't see how it can be flush but at the same time not fall apart. (I don't have a Dremmel -- thinking of where I can borrow one).

May 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by foma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. So you filed it down at an angle so that there would be some metal left to hold everything in place? Otherwise I don't see how it can be flush but at the same time not fall apart. (I don't have a Dremmel -- thinking of where I can borrow one).

flush with the edge of the connector. examine one and you'll see.
smily_headphones1.gif

a metal snipper and a file would also work. perhaps just a file. experiment--the housings are cheap enough.

May 19, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #18 of 20
Cool. I found another potential solution. There is something called a "Port Saver - 15 PIN HD D-SUB Female to Male", which can be had from a parts supplier. It is essentially an adaptor that has male and female 15-pin connectors in either side, and there are no ridges. So this would bring out the connecting parts forward a bit, thereby enabling a tight connection. Granted this introduces another chain in the signal link which you don't want to do, but since this is essentially a pin-to-pin connector I hope that signal degradation is minimal. I'll report when I actually receive it (it's in the mail). If not, off to Home Depot to get myself a metal file!

May 21, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by foma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. I found another potential solution. There is something called a "Port Saver - 15 PIN HD D-SUB Female to Male", which can be had from a parts supplier. It is essentially an adaptor that has male and female 15-pin connectors in either side, and there are no ridges. So this would bring out the connecting parts forward a bit, thereby enabling a tight connection. Granted this introduces another chain in the signal link which you don't want to do, but since this is essentially a pin-to-pin connector I hope that signal degradation is minimal. I'll report when I actually receive it (it's in the mail). If not, off to Home Depot to get myself a metal file!

The Port Saver works very well! As I hoped, this is a very slim connector with flat ends, so it brings forward the connector just enough. Another clever part is that the thumbscrews for the Port Saver have screw-holes on their heads, so everything is held down very tightly.

I got the Port Saver from Digi-Key (less than $10 including shipping), and had the cables custom made (with Mogami cables) by Chris at pSyonic Laboratories. Chris even called me at work to follow up with my connection problem -- nice to see personal touches like that even for a single order of cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back