Is anyone building Duet breakout cables?
Apr 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

orkney

Headphoneus Supremus
I just picked up a Duet and while waiting for it to arrive had a look at the included breakout cables. I'm guessing that to hook it up to a desktop amp I'll need 1/4 to RCA adapters or cables, and was wondering if any of the talented cable mavens here have managed to replicate or rewire the Apogee breakout for a more elegant solution. I'd also like to hear from those with 1/4/RCA cables about where they bought 'em and their experiences.

thanks and best,

o

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 20
this thing is flawed on a few levels from a home audio standpoint, first is it uses a cable to go from the duet to the box then there are solder joints and male rcas then you need to connect your own rcas to this box thing. too many coonections when you could either A) go to rat shack or guitar center and get a 1/2 to rca adapter for $5 or have a diy'er build a cable that uses the break out connector and subs good wire and rcas. Either of these solutions is cheaper and superior to this box.

Better to spend the $100 on beer abd pizza then this thing.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 20
These cables are quite simple to build youself. I've built several. I use separate cables for recording and playback. Both are 15 pin d-sub to rca.

Apogee gives a pinout here:
Apogee Electronics: Products: Duet

For playback I used pins 5, 10, 14, and 15, for recording 1,6,11, and 14.

The d-sub connector is available at RadioShack (and many other places). The RadioShack model # is 276-1501 and the housing is # 276-1508.

Beware that the screws on the sides are useless and the housing will not fit the Duet unless it is filed down. One way to deal with this is to build the cables and just before sealing the housing, fill it with epoxy. Close the housing, attach the screws (the ones that hold the housing together -- don't use the side screws) and let the epoxy harden. After it has hardened, file flat the top and bottom of the front end of the housing so that it will fit the Duet. (Do not file before adding epoxy, since it will then be difficult to nicely position the connector in the housing.)

I imagine that any microphone wire will do nicely. I used Mogami.

Once done, these cables are a breeze to use, fit snugly just pushed on, and they are a lot easier to work with than the more massive Apogee breakout connector.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 20
ronfint,

I have the exact same D-sub housing and connector, and it fits my Duet just fine, no filing or adjustments needed. There are little clip-things that are meant to fit between the screw heads (of the screws that are for securing connector to Duet) and the housing, kind of like a washer. If those aren't in place, then the screws might bottom out in the Duet ???

Or are you talking about the screws that hold the two halves of the housing together?

Or am I missing something?

Do you have pictures?

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thing is flawed on a few levels from a home audio standpoint, first is it uses a cable to go from the duet to the box then there are solder joints and male rcas then you need to connect your own rcas to this box thing. too many coonections when you could either A) go to rat shack or guitar center and get a 1/2 to rca adapter for $5 or have a diy'er build a cable that uses the break out connector and subs good wire and rcas. Either of these solutions is cheaper and superior to this box.

Better to spend the $100 on beer abd pizza then this thing.

I assume you're referring to the Breakout Box, yes? If so, I whole-heartedly agree--from a home audio standpoint. From a take-the-stuff on the road and recording equipment standpoint, the breakout box is pretty sweet and has good reports and recommendations.

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 20
Blue Jeans cables make them, and know about the issue that some D-Sub 15 plugs have, using a right-angled one I believe. n_maher posted a pic of his Duet cable I recall in the post your DIY cables thread.

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 20
I am in the midst of byuilding a breakout cable for one of my RME 9632 audio cards with topshelf parts I think it would be easy to apply the same principles to the duet. are you wanting all the INs/OUTS replicated or would you do away with the ins?? for my cable I am making all connections. I am using silver bullet RCA and still deciding on the XLR's dont know whether to go all out as the card is balanced if the breakouit cable is balanced. I have the stock balanced breakout and it makes quite a difference compared to the single-ended breakout

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a Duet and while waiting for it to arrive had a look at the included breakout cables. I'm guessing that to hook it up to a desktop amp I'll need 1/4 to RCA adapters or cables, and was wondering if any of the talented cable mavens here have managed to replicate or rewire the Apogee breakout for a more elegant solution. I'd also like to hear from those with 1/4/RCA cables about where they bought 'em and their experiences.

thanks and best,

o

Contact Andrew at Blue Jeans.

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 20
ummm you might notice that the OP started this thread in july; so chances are he found a solution by now. at least I hope so LOL

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 20
Here is a link to a picture. I filed down the areas indicated. Before doing that, I could only get a decent connection by tightening the side screws with force. Now, no screws are needed.

Duet Cable

Quote:

Originally Posted by _js_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ronfint,

I have the exact same D-sub housing and connector, and it fits my Duet just fine, no filing or adjustments needed. There are little clip-things that are meant to fit between the screw heads (of the screws that are for securing connector to Duet) and the housing, kind of like a washer. If those aren't in place, then the screws might bottom out in the Duet ???

Or are you talking about the screws that hold the two halves of the housing together?

Or am I missing something?

Do you have pictures?

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 20
ronfint,

Thanks for the clarification. I see. Those areas do look as if they might pose a problem! I think I'll look into other housing / D-sub connector options.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the midst of byuilding a breakout cable for one of my RME 9632 audio cards with topshelf parts I think it would be easy to apply the same principles to the duet. are you wanting all the INs/OUTS replicated or would you do away with the ins?? for my cable I am making all connections. I am using silver bullet RCA and still deciding on the XLR's dont know whether to go all out as the card is balanced if the breakouit cable is balanced. I have the stock balanced breakout and it makes quite a difference compared to the single-ended breakout

Where did u find the pinouts for the RME9632? Do you know if one can make a cable with 2*3 pin XLR for balanced output PLUS 2 sets of RCA unbalanced output? cheers

May 15, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 20
Has anyone found a solution -- other than epoxy and filing the ridge down? Like a flat-top shaped connector, or perhaps longer screws? I recently ordered a custom cable only to find out that the connector will not make a tight connection.

I guess I cannot post hyperlinks yet, but basically the original Duet connectors have a flat top whereas a custom-made one has a ridge so that the ridge hinders a full connection.

Original: _____

Custom: __----__

12connector20090512004324j

May 16, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by foma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone found a solution -- other than epoxy and filing the ridge down? Like a flat-top shaped connector, or perhaps longer screws? I recently ordered a custom cable only to find out that the connector will not make a tight connection.

I guess I cannot post hyperlinks yet, but basically the original Duet connectors have a flat top whereas a custom-made one has a ridge so that the ridge hinders a full connection.

Original: _____

Custom: __----__

12connector20090512004324j

You don't need to file it all the way. Leave enough to hold everything in place. No epoxy required. For eight months it's solid. A while back I posted pictures.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4675929-post3140.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back