Is anyone actually satisfied with their gear?
Feb 1, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #76 of 84
I just need a benchmark and iPod then I should be find
600smile.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #77 of 84
Satisfied?
More or less.
Want new gear anyway?
Yes.

For me, the money I'd have to spend to keep going would bring diminishing returns. So I'd rather spend the time / money on new music.

I do need to upgrade my source, and I really would like to get into more vinyl. Partly, I also see a huge limitation with redbook cds in terms of sound quality. Compared to high res, or a really good vinyl rig, that's going to do way more for me than my headphone setup.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #78 of 84
I'm pretty satisfied with my set up for now. There are certain items I definitely want to get but I spent quite a lot the past year and want to start paying off part of my debt before I add anymore to it.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #79 of 84
The day people sell their DAC1s for cheap to get spanking new DAC2s ... I'll be a completely satisfied.
cool.gif

[size=xx-small].. at least for another year.[/size]

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #80 of 84
Count me in as satisfied.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #81 of 84
I'm actually more or less satisfied. I bought another amp (the SR-71) and it's still in the mail and I'll need some accessories to supplement output performance (a sik din for line-out, etc.) and maybe a decent CD player for home listening. I tend to obsess sometimes but I try to keep things in persepctive.

I'll start obsessing over as many versions that I can find of Beethoven's Violin Romance No.2
icon10.gif
I need the best versions of my favorite music. I like sound clarity and detail but it's meaningless without good music.

To paraphrase Ansel Adams, there's nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #82 of 84
I'm reasonably happy, but I will be happier with R-10 & Singlepower Supra
icon10.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #83 of 84
Well... no. But I'm workin' on it. I'm down to one pair of cans for home-use, at least.

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #84 of 84
I'm not sure where to stand on this one. 'Happiness' is very much a psychological thing. I was happy for years with my Vandersteen speakers/Luxman amp (+cheap cd player). When I ventured into investing money into a dedicated headphone setup, I found myself in brand new territory. My headphone rig outperforms my speaker setup in many ways, and changing the components (with detailed headphones) reveals many options for adjusting and tweaking. Hearing sound is always a subjective experience, and it's generally fun to experience changes in what we hear with our gear or with new music. The problem lies in when we become too greedy with or place too much expectation in what we can realistically gain from equipment upgrades. Buying stuff is a rush in itself. In the end what never changes is the simple enjoyment of the music. Even a crappy setup these days will provide you with that... as long as you let go as much as possible of the 'deficiencies' in the sound... just listen to the music and think about the miracle of it. Even an antique record player with a big horn for a speaker can do that.

That's not to say I haven't completely indulged with wild abandon into buying new things for 'better' sound.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back