Is anyone actually satisfied with their gear?
Jan 29, 2005 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there anyone hear that has had their headphones, amps, sources, etc. for longer than 3 months actually satisfied? And not thinking about an upgrade? Just curious.

Jan 29, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 84
Yup. I'm satisfied with mine. Just need more music now.

Jan 29, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
Is there anyone hear that has had their headphones, amps, sources, etc. for longer than 3 months actually satisfied? And not thinking about an upgrade? Just curious.

Perhaps it is a built-in feature not to be satisfied as a materialistic hobby like this is used in vain to try to fill the mental and spiritual void in today's world and modern lifestyle.

Let the flaming begin.

Jan 29, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 84
I've had this discussion with a couple of others. Guess the best way to describe it is either I'm a gear junkie or just something in me keeps whispering that "there's something better" out there. One guy put it this way....it's the thrill of the chase(for new/better/different gear).

Am I satisified? In some ways, yes but I'm still looking at change/upgrade.....so I guess the answer is no I'm not satisfied.....
confused.gif
confused.gif

Heck, I don't know if I am or not! Hope that helps.

Jan 29, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 84
im pretty settled on what i have, well until the mini mac arives then the hunt will begin for a method of processing he sound. ala DIY USB DAC if not the some pro studio firwire audio card might be in order..etc....

ohh and i need more music.

stu.

edit and maybe a bigger screen for dvd's
wink.gif

and maybe a sub

ohh and a nicer interconnect

and a nice rack ala DIY again

waiting for the summer.....

ahh and some power conditioners etc...

ahh **** looks like im not to satisfied
rolleyes.gif

stu

Jan 29, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Perhaps it is a built-in feature not to be satisfied as a materialistic hobby like this is used in vain to try to fill the mental and spiritual void in today's world and modern lifestyle.

Let the flaming begin.

Excellent point rauer and you'll get no flaming from me.

I think it's just man's unquenchable desire for "the new". Once you have "the new" it's no longer new and when the newness wears off, one must obtain more of "the new".

I'm completely satisfied in terms of my home system but still seek that elusive headphone.

Jan 29, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 84
I'm perfectly satisfied (that is, I wouldn't make *too* much noise if I wasn't able to upgrade further), but that doesn't mean I don't want to hear everything else out there at some point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Really though, at this point, the only big purchase I can't help but keep on my "I will have this eventually" list is the Benchmark DAC1. It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine. Well, that and the Orpheus, but that's more of a pipe dream.

Jan 29, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 84
It's got nothing to do with the "new" for me. My CD player is discontinued and has been for 3 years for heaven's sake. I built my own amp from a not-very-new design. My headphones were used! About the only new thing I have is the flip case my iPod Mini fits into! (The mini isn't new either; it's been out for a while now.)

Together my gear has a synergy that really works for me. I was going to build a MINT amp for my iPod Mini, but I was thinking yesterday that the E3cs didn't garner appreciable benefit from my maxed out PIMETA, so what would they get from a not-so-maxed out MINT? I actually talked myself out of an upgrade!

Just like I continually talk myself out of buying DT531s (mainly because I see them for a bad price and/or expensive shipping).

I mean if I really had money that I could spend guilt-free on audio, I would probably keep my CD player because I love it's sound, and maybe upgrade to a tube amp (WooAudio3 lol) and DT531s.

But I feel no overly compelling reason to do so. I'm quite pleased with my current "rig."
cool.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 84
Well... considering that the best pair of headphones I have right now are the e2c (which I love
icon10.gif
) and my source is an old Panasonic PCDP that's slowly falling apart (literally, some of the buttons are becoming loose and falling off and I've banged it enough for a few dents)... I see myself buying some new gear soon.
icon10.gif

I don't think I'm really that bad (compared to some people here
tongue.gif
), I've been apart of this board for a few months and the biggest purchase I've made are for the ksc75s and e2cs. I have yet to even get a cheap DAP.
rolleyes.gif

So, to answer your question: I am happy with my gear, but I am not satisfied.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 84
I think I'll force myself to be satisfied with my current rig for awhile and buy music instead (with the exception of getting some closed headphones). I it's really hard to be satisfied with a system if you spend your time listening to it and not to the music (obviously more so if you've heard better).

Jan 29, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 84
i've been using the same setup for about a year now, so yes, i'd say i'm satisfied. the only problem i have with my current hardware is that i would prefer a smaller, lighter, more durable amplifier, as shipping is expensive and dangerous with my current one. in terms of sound, though, i don't plan on upgrading anything for that purpose.

Jan 29, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 84
I guess most people here will be satisfied with some of their gear, but not all. For instance, I really like my 404's for home use, and 001's for transportable use, but I don't like them for directly portable use - need something isolating so I don't hear my co-workers crunching on carrots every 3 seconds. I'm definitely not satisfied with my Onkyo source - not bad for a $700 mid-fi source, but could, and should, be a lot better. Guess I'll buy some refurbished Denon DVD-2900 and mod the hell out of it - shouldn't cost too much $$$.

I like my 590's for comp use, but need something isolating for LAN use - maybe an A500 will do the trick. The Porta Corda is nice, for now, as I don't use dynamics in my main system. As for the speakers, well, I'm not satisfied, but the system I want will cost more than what I've got saved up right now for grad school, so that's out of the question.

Jan 29, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 84
ipod-2X-S/UE-10 = portable audio panacea.

since i got my sensaphonics i have not even thought about upgrading.

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer

Let the flaming begin.

I feel that, alas, this sombre analysis has a bent to truth; but, that the bare truth isn't to necessarily detract from the pleasure of devoting yourself to something you like so much. As in "it can't be that bad, if it makes you feel good".

For sure, it's to be wished that we don't end up generalising to much -- the whole matter can be lived like a raw 'materialistic hobby' as well as a 'passion' collateral to the love of music (and indeed, to the partly material human nature) and driven mostly by it, thus growing with it also.

If we think of it in terms of a side effect to the dramaticly increasing need in this broke world for authentic communication - like only Art can provide, and music above all - then we would have at hand a hint for some constructive criticism for ourselves.

Sorry, I happened to be in this moralizing mood just when I stumbled on this thread and read rauer's post. Now it's over.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back