Is anybody buying the ATH-CK100?
Jan 5, 2010 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Hentai11

500+ Head-Fier
On a cursory glance, with a street price nearing $700, I don't see anyone paying this for a universal. Anyone out there willing to say it's worth every cent?

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 16
More like about $400 incl. shipping from Seyo shop. Whether they're worth it is a highly personal question. If you're into super-detailed, super-smooth highs with solid midrange and bass, plus impeccable build quality they might well be worth it.

I found their mids to be somewhat touchy, depending on source, tips and the current position of Venus and Jupiter. But if you find a perfect combination of these they can sound heavenly.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the rundown. They're still a bit beyond my pay grade new, but I won't reject them out of hand if some secondhands hit the FS forums.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More like about $400 incl. shipping from Seyo shop. Whether they're worth it is a highly personal question. If you're into super-detailed, super-smooth highs with solid midrange and bass, plus impeccable build quality they might well be worth it.

I found their mids to be somewhat touchy, depending on source, tips and the current position of Venus and Jupiter. But if you find a perfect combination of these they can sound heavenly.

Any idea how they can sell it for about half price of most others selling this item? I've never heard of Seyo. Are they a reputable dealer, do you know?

Thanks.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 16
Street price is no where near $700. Those sellers are just over-charging/inflating the price. Check eBay or even google other sellers, street price ranges from $400-500. Seyo has been around for a long time, no need to question their authenticity.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 16
What a shame, because Ck100s are about 30000 yen in Japan, which is an awesome price for its quality

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 16
CK100 just cost me about $337,I bought it from Japan.
I quite like these earphones,the sound will be fit you if you like the sound of ATH
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 16
I really hate Technica's markup here, just like how it is for Sennheiser in Japan.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 16
They don't have real retail presence, that is why. The 700$ is not a far cry from what Japanese have to pay for things like Westone etc., so turn about is fair play I guess. And Seyo indeed are reputable. My orders have always been quickly and safely delivered via EMS, not leave-it-on-your-doorstep UPS or FEDEX.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea how they can sell it for about half price of most others selling this item? I've never heard of Seyo. Are they a reputable dealer, do you know?

Thanks.

Yeah, I've used Seyo-Shop to buy the JVC Victor FX500 there. It was the cheapest place around Even though the item was shipped from Japan, it arrived it in exactly 6 days.

Would purchase from them again.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks all, for the info about Seyo.

I dumped pretty much all my IEMs a few months back, thinking I was out of that particular market. Recently repurchased the IE8's and am now 'bout ready to jump right back to where I thought I wouldn't be. Trying to decide between these and the CK10's, among a few others.

What a crappy, money-draining hobby this is, huh?

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 16
I think that Audio Technica aren't convinced that high end earphones sell in either North America or Europe. And, per population, they are probably right. I see more high end earphones in Japan than I ever did in Europe or Canada. It could be that the population in general makes more informed buying decisions, or it could be that high end brands have more penetration, but AT are not having trouble making money. It would be nice if they released their high end models outside of Japan, but I don't think that will happen. Till then, we will have to rely on authorised vendors and exporters.

Still, it is annoying because they are very hard to find to try out or even at headfi meets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back