Is America PSYCHOLOGICALLY ready for the Super Audio CD revelation?
Sep 8, 2005 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88
"Question: Do you carry any SUPER
blink.gif
Audio CDs?
She answers: I beg your pardon SUPER-what??!!

The above is a real dialogue which has taken place in a MEGA MUSIC Store with thousands of CDs,
DVD-Videos etc. somewhere on the Main Street USA.
(At least she had
blink.gif
SUPER legs
blink.gif
!)

I believe that the above dialogue would be typical to many other music stores.
Asking for a Super Audio Compact Discs is like asking for a live EXOTIC
blink.gif
bird in a "one-dollar store".
Super Audio Compact Discs are still like EXOTIC
blink.gif
species in many stores.

Well, I asked in some other store specializing in music (tons of) CDs, DVD-Videos, ...
"Question: Will you have 'The Animals: The Retrospective' on the Super
blink.gif
Audio CD?
Answer: We are NOT carrying SACDs anymore, only what is left in the store!"

Another store (classical music):
"Question: I've herad about Beethoven's 'Emperor' by S. Kovacevich on a Super
blink.gif
Audio CD.
Answer: Please check the shelves. We will NOT have any more SACDs."

What are your experiences?

See on the
blink.gif
EXOTIC
blink.gif
Side of the Moon.

Adam

Sep 8, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
My thoughts exactly
biggrin.gif

blink.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 88
I don't think it has anything to do with psychology. I think it's simpler than that. Most people don't care. So they're not going to go out and buy something new that they don't need. SACDs aren't more convenient, they can't be played in the car, they can't be played on their computer, and they can't be put in an ipod. So why bother. Since most people don't have em, most stores won't carry em. If you want SACDs or DVD-A, find a small shop, or order online.

Sep 8, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 88
blink.gif
blink.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I don't think it has anything to do with psychology. I think it's simpler than that. Most people don't care. So they're not going to go out and buy something new that they don't need. SACDs aren't more convenient, they can't be played in the car, they can't be played on their computer, and they can't be put in an ipod. So why bother. Since most people don't have em, most stores won't carry em. If you want SACDs or DVD-A, find a small shop, or order online.

Wrong! Hybrid SACDs, which most new SACDs are, are playable in teh car, and on the computer, and can be ripped and stored on the iPod. DVD-A's are another issue.

Yes, it is sad that many folks working in "record" stores do not know where the vinyl is, what a minidisc is, what DVD-A, what HDCD, and what SACD (2 track and multichannel) is. Now they have to learn what Dual Disc is, and why some players cannot read this latest format.

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 88
blink.gif
thread. Extremely
blink.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
(At least she had
blink.gif
SUPER legs
blink.gif
!)

icon10.gif
Thanks Adam for one of the more entertaining posts I have read. I get the sense that it was a tad tounge in cheek, but just in case you're serious...

America psychologically does not give a flying fart about SACD.

My experience with SACD is that it is relatively expensive with a musical selection that caters to baby boomers who drive porche's and spend amounts of money on audio gear that no average person would even begin to understand. So, if you like to lay back and compare power cords, it is the format for you. If you just like to pop the latest Faith Hill in your deck and go, it is probably the last thing on your mind.

Not to mention - Sony backs it; that is enough to doom it to obscure status right there.

Please be advised: The above post is full of generalizations and the author owns 31 SACD's himself.
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 88
Entertaining thread.
blink.gif
Very informative
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back