Is AKG's K501 one of the most hard to drive headphone in the planet...?
May 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

New Head-Fier
Dear all,

First, I had own a k501 for more than 3 years, which is one of the most exciting can that I've found: so hard to drive it perfectly. I love it's bass, I love it's mids and highs. However, I had been looking an amp to pair it for the last 3 years since I've own this great can, but I still haven't find a perfect pair for it. So what I am doing now is using a Lehmann Rhinelander and HD650 for temporary use, before I find a great one for her.
A lot of people say that the k501 loves power and I agree with that, therefore, I've tried the some powerful tube amp like Darkvoice 337, Euro made Experence Head One...etc, and some powerful ss amp like Meier Audio Symphony and SPL Auditor...etc. The K501 usually sounds muddy on tube amp (Bass and mid are overly emphased which I can say is too warm) and the K501 sounds too bright on SS amps, the human vocal will be sounding extreme far and weak.
I my future planI am looking forward to get a true neutral and balanced sounding amp for this wonderful neutral sounding can, it has a great balanced ratio on the treble, mid and bass, which is hard to see from the other cans, and this is the reason why I am willing to invest on her.
So I need some suggestions from you guys and help me to find a perfect amp for the K501. Perfect doesn't mean to be the best, but perfectly matched.

Cheers

May 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 19
I really enjoy the synergy of the 501's paired with the Audio Valve RKV MK II amp.  I've tried my 501's with the following:  Canamp; LD II+; GCHA; Raptor; MP3X; EC/01; EC/SS, and ZD. 

I find the RKV's to take what otherwise can sound a bit "wimpy" into a very muscular, "Hulk" type of sound quality.

They're (the RKV) hard to come by, but well worth it if you're able to snag it at a reasonable price.

May 25, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 19
If have your 501's recabled for balanced operation, you can use several excellent T-amps, such as the  RWA Signature 30.2, Virtue One and Two, or Winsome Labs Mouse. 

They drive the 501's beautifully from the speaker terminals.  You can then make or purchase an adapter to use your 501's SE.  

If you think they sound good now, you should try them balanced with one of the above mentioned amps. 

Ron

May 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 19
Seriously, sometime I think that, the HD800 is alot easiler and cheaper to to preforme better than the K501...
For example, in a lot cost of budget, I can buy a HD800 + the Lehmann Rhinelander/ BLC + CA DACMagic, and it sound really good indeed. However, with the same or twice amount budget to spend on the amp and the source for the K501, it still sounds not as good as the HD800 system can do.
I am not going to say it's right or wrong, but IMO feeding the K501 with more voltage, it seems to sound kinda' slow and less exciting, feeding the K501 with more current, it sounds so detailed but harshing on the treble. The K501 and the HD650 or even the HD800 both need only 4mW to power for 100dB SPL, a lot of amp seems able to provide sufficent energy to power them, what does K501 need to feed????? God knows....

May 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 19
Yeah, this cans require a good amp to drive them perfectly. There are few options, like the Little Dot MKIII. some say that the HA160 could be a good match specially on Akg's. 

May 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Seriously, sometime I think that, the HD800 is alot easiler and cheaper to to preforme better than the K501...
For example, in a lot cost of budget, I can buy a HD800 + the Lehmann Rhinelander/ BLC + CA DACMagic, and it sound really good indeed. However, with the same or twice amount budget to spend on the amp and the source for the K501, it still sounds not as good as the HD800 system can do.
I am not going to say it's right or wrong, but IMO feeding the K501 with more voltage, it seems to sound kinda' slow and less exciting, feeding the K501 with more current, it sounds so detailed but harshing on the treble. The K501 and the HD650 or even the HD800 both need only 4mW to power for 100dB SPL, a lot of amp seems able to provide sufficent energy to power them, what does K501 need to feed????? God knows....

You do realize the HD800 is a better headphone than the K501? So even if the HD800 is on a cheaper source it should still sound better.
smile.gif

May 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 19
My K501s are harder to drive than my sennheisers. The box says they are nominally 120 ohm; mine measure 112 ohm each speaker. Compare that to 300 ohm for the senns. I haven't looked up their relative efficiencies. All I know is the AKGs take more juice to power. I like the sound with a hybrid amp.

May 26, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 19
You're comparing the K501 to the HD800, wha.. you're not supposed to be surprised that the 800 sounds better -_-

May 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 19
haha. it might sound weird to you guys, but I am not trying to compare the HD800 to the K501, I just want to blam...why the HD800 is even easier than the K501 to get a good sound@@. The HD800 must sound better than the K501, because of the new technology and the price tag, but just wondering what does the K501 need to sound good.

May 26, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 19
What do these need to sound good? A thorough redesign? A change of philosophy? No, you're kiddin' me. Airy and weightless sound is excellent.... for some 30% of my music, possibly. If I could return to these days some K 501 rested on my shelf, I would. But then I would have other excellent headphones, for the remaining 70%. And I would never come and ask how to improve what will always objectively stay much the same.

May 26, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
If have your 501's recabled for balanced operation, you can use several excellent T-amps, such as the  RWA Signature 30.2, Virtue One and Two, or Winsome Labs Mouse. 

They drive the 501's beautifully from the speaker terminals.  You can then make or purchase an adapter to use your 501's SE.  

If you think they sound good now, you should try them balanced with one of the above mentioned amps. 

Ron

That sounds interesting.

May 26, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 19
OFFTOPIC (but not too much):

I think this "hard to drive" AKG matter is a bit over-beaten, exaggerated or misunderstood.

I can understand that for K340 for example, or the 88db/600ohm professional monitors. They do need lots of power to get them sing.
But it's a matter of quantity mostly, if you get enough voltage and current they'll be fine. Even opamp based designs with high enough gain and a good PSU can do that.

K501 or K701 are an even easier load for the amps and doesn't take a powerhouse to drive them decently.

Well ... The problem is quality of amplification, synergy and of course user preference.

Both K501 and K701 offer a very particular sound signature that doesn't go with just anybody out there. You need to really like them for what they are in order to enjoy their sound.
Most people actually fail at this first, let's say, "requirement" and end up disappointed. 
They're not neutral headphones and will not be to everyone's liking no matter what you do to them.

Let me say it again: you need to like and appreciate them for what they are.

Once you get past this point what you should be really looking for is good system matching in respect to your ears. Not reviews, not specs, not anything.
This doesn't mean that every junk of an amp can be right if the user's ears says so.
Following the common knowledge here on Head-fi you'll see that most of the amps people recommend are of high quality and hardly any exceptions.

That being said, I'll get back on topic and address the OP's questions:

I'll echo the rewiring advice given earlier. My pair of K501 has really opened up with the new Mogami Starquad (dual entry), meaning that there is less grain and more detail in the upper half of the spectrum and a better sense of space.

Other mods you can perform:
- use a bit of dampening on the back of the magnets and on the inside of the cups to reduce resonances.
- new pads - the K601 and K701 pads tend to warm up the sound quite a bit and may help you with a SS amp.

Balanced operation works really well for them. I've never noticed any harshness or grain in the treble or high mids when driven by A-gd Roc. Actually the sound becomes impressively natural, smooth and refined.
If you have the possibility - try a balanced amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back