Is AKG k-240 studio a good pair to start at 99$ for a newb?
Nov 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

weipim

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, during the holiday season I would like to redeem myself with some okay headphones, I used OKAY because I know how high standards this forum has and I don't want to get bashed by you guys.

My very limited experience in headphone was that I bought a Senn HD-25-II half a year ago since it didn't require amp and I really really enjoyed the performance and portability of it. All my friends were impressed how good it sounds and I decided to give it to my mom as she listen to a lot of music and travels a lot.

Now for me, I decided that I want to go more complex, I already bought an E9, possibly pair it with a good DAC and I can get started.

My source will be spotify premium so far, however i'm thinking about building up a library, but that is a process that will preoccupy the rest of my life. 

Therefore as starting my very basic collection, I wonder if the AKG K-240 Studio is a good pair to start with for 99 dollars for: hip hop, pop, bachata(latin), very little classic.

To be honest I'm not a bass head at all but would love to be able to listen to what the artist intend to express.

thanks to you all

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

They're decent. Go for it.

On another note, when you say you want to hear what the artist intended, some artists intend for you to hear gobbing bass, and a lot of these headphones don't deliver it. Just pointing that out since you mentioned hip hop, and many readers out there listen to forms of EDM as well, many of which the artists intended to hit you with serious waves of bass, which a lot of these "accurate" headphones can't produce.

Anyhow, I assume you want something relatively neutral.

Options to consider along with the AKG K240 that you so far selected:

Fischer Audio FA-011
Beyer DT880 PRO
AudioTechnica AD900

Very best,

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 6
thanks a milli, 

yeah I guess if Dr.Dre wants to kill me with basses, I simply have to choose another song haha.

I see you have experience with lots of headphone, how are the grados? if I want to collect a pair of budget grado, which will be the best? thx

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
thanks a milli, 

yeah I guess if Dr.Dre wants to kill me with basses, I simply have to choose another song haha.

I see you have experience with lots of headphone, how are the grados? if I want to collect a pair of budget grado, which will be the best? thx

Grado SR60i with L cush pads by far, to me, are the way to go for the dollar. I bought them and went up to the SR325 goldies right after. I found little difference between the two other than housing materials. The drivers, well, I honestly couldn't have told you if they were truly any different or better in any way, but the difference of $230+ between the two made no sense at all to me. The SR60's are simply great headphones, and the higher prestige Grados up to the 325 are just not that different for the cost increase, it's like the plateau starts with the SR60i. The L cush pads are mandatory in my book, the flat pads they come with stock are basically criminal and sound awful and destroy the sound of the headphone. The L cush pads turn them into headphones with a good bodied full sound.

The flats they come with (remove these, don't even listen to them, trust me):

L-cush pads ($20), I consider a mandatory inclusion when you buy the SR60i's:

And again, honestly, after having both together, I don't see any of the SR prestige series Grados to be at all better than the SR60's in terms of their sound for their massive price increase increments.

I pretty much feel like the extra $200+ went to the aluminum housing and the extra numbers added to the model number. I don't think the sound was worth that much more. I could barely tell there was a real difference at all, could not say it was the better headphone, or simply a miniscule different sound due to construction materials.

Very best,

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Nice, never kenw the l cush can be applied on the sr 60i as well,

now makes my choice even more difficult.

Can I have you recommend me a few more semi-open can under 300 as well, just for reference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back