Is AKG for me? K701, K501 or something else?
Jun 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

muad

500+ Head-Fier
Im going crazy looking for headphones, since for every opinion there is and equal and opposite opinion! I currently have an audio-gd fun dac/amp so I am not worried about amplification. What I am worried about are AKG's for me? I'm currently using alessandro ms-1 and the I really like the frequency response. It could use a little more in upper highs (cymbals) and Im willing to sacrifice some of the bass. I want really nice vocals, piano, acoustic guitar etc. Another thing is I want to get sound out of my head. It sounds like all the singers are in my brain... a little too in my face.

Do you guys thing the k701/501 would sound good for:

Coldplay
Muse
The XX
Jack Johnson
Rodrigo y Gabriella
Radiohead
Nina Simone
Kings of Leon

This is just an average sampling of what I like so...

Any unbiased advice is appreciated.... and K701 haters need not apply  
k701smile.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Well if you wan't more treble balance, I guess the K701 may suit you more. Bear in mind that Coldplay for starters isn't very well mastered, so there is only so much you can get out of the treble. Don't know how the bass compares to the MS-1, but the higher end AKGs are know for some of the "least" bass out there.

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 8
Try modding the MS-1, add some liberators and GS-1000 pads. Will give you take the sound outside your head, they can also be tuned by drilling holes in the liberators. I don't have a MS-1, have a MS-Pro which is modded, and it expands the soundstage substantially. Also have a K701 and a K501, they are great phones. I really like the K701 for acoustic, vocals and piano. But keep in mind you will need a decent amp for the AKG's, the Alessandro will sing easier. The K501 is great as well, just to me sounds a bit thin compared to the 701. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies.

Well I found someone in my city selling the 701's, I may just pay him $20 to try it on my amp ( if I don't buy it ). Hopefully he goes for it.

edit: btw I don't want to mod, Ive spent too much money trying to tweak things and not liking the results. Audio stuff isn't really that much fun for me, I just want something to keep and be done with spending so much money. Then I can get back to listening to the music
smile_phones.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 8
The K701s sound like they'd be fine for you :)

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 8
I just had a friend come over and he preferred the sound my speakers produce over the alessandro ms-1's. One thing that the ms-1's do very well though... they really have a natural analogue sound to them. Definitely  not a bad sound, I just think grado isn't for me. I really like their old school look tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back