Is active noise cancelling worth it?
Jan 2, 2019 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Draaftlore

New Head-Fier
I am going to be buying a new phone in the next couple months. I want to get an essential phone Ph-1. I want to get some USB-C IEMs for it.

I am about to admit to a couple cardnial sins to you guys. I like Razer products, even ever so slightly more than my Audeze products, so no dongle to use them. I mean if Audeze we're to create a USB-C cypher cable for my iSine10s I would buy that instead. As it stands I plan to get some Razer hammerhead IEMs. I do all my music listening on Spotify so it's not like I need much for that.

Is active noise cancelling worth $20 more than the other $80 non active noise cancelling USB-C IEMs?

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 4
noise cancelling IEMs usually make cars sound like moped. just for that little bit of fun, it's something to experience at least once IMO ^_^. they tend to do a really amazing job at low frequency and not so much at higher frequencies. when passive isolation is sort of the opposite, as it's super easy to filter out high frequencies with a physical seal, but low frequencies go through the material. so the ideal is a decent mix of both active and passive isolation which those probably aren't offering or do so poorly as I can't find any mention of how much isolation they provide. only that it "delivers the ambient sound reduction capabilities of larger headsets". but that to me is a red flag because IEMs(the sealed kind) typically isolate better than full size headphones, even the closed back kind. so I wouldn't expect a tremendous overall noise isolation here, but I hope I'm wrong.

active noise cancelling is often known to make listeners feel a sort of air pressure(hard to describe that feeling accurately as it's not really like anything else IRL). some people don't really notice or care, others can't stand it. as is the case for many things in this world, it's hard to predict how somebody else will feel, so you really have to try to know the answer.

it could also be worth asking owners of that IEM how it behaves against wind, but then again the noise cancelling can apparently be turned off, so maybe that's a simple enough fix? IDK. I'm just sharing general ideas about the noise cancelling IEMs as I never tried that specific model. but I hope that still helps a little.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 4
I do quite a bit of traveling for work, and honestly, I can't travel anywhere without my QC35 IIs or QC20s. It honestly changed how I travel and completely lets me "escape," if that makes sense. I just picked up a pair of Sony's WH-1000XM3 and the noise cancelation is even better, although I prefer the fit of the Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back