is a Zune LOD possible ?
May 27, 2008 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Ricardo Dawkins

1000+ Head-Fier
May 27, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 42
They're Dutch. I'll mail them tomorrow.

May 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 42
There is a home lod for Zune, but not a regular wire portable one. I think it needs voltage to keep a switch open on the chip or something, because the home unit is powered, so maybe youd need a lod with a battery on it to hold open the switch, i dont know.....just guessing. Looking at that page, im surprised you can even figure out what hes doing because theres nothing really written about it, just pictures.
Thats all thats really missing from the Zune is a LOD really.
Its a shame that after all this time, nobody has figured it out.
I think the cure for AIDS will be released before we see a Zune LOD.

May 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 42
well most home docks are powered for charging purposes

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 42
You know what? A Zune LOD is absolutely possible, and ill tell you why.
I can use my Zune plugged into the table top Zune LOD and all i have to do is use my portable battery with a USB port in it to power it, and im portable. Im listening to it line-out as we speak with no connection to my pc.

Someone has to open a Zune LOD and make a little box with the parts needed in it, and a battery inside to power it.

I think it just needs to be powered and you cant just use a cable alone, but it can be made small and portable like a small amp.

Im not a tech or anything, but i cant see why someone hasnt done this yet, unless the call for it just hasnt been enough to bother, being ipods take up over 70% of the market.

I see guys building Picos and Hornets and Predators, and all kinds of amps and dacs......and NOBODY can figure out the ZUNE LOD???
I dont think its like looking for the Holy Grail.

This sounds great though right now through my Portaphile, and all im using is Sony MDR NC6 headphones right now, and it sounds good.

Wake up Techs, and be the first to make a little battery-powered line-out box for the Zune!!!!!

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 42
I believe people have been working on a diymod for the zune, so you won't need a separate battery for that. Just capacitors.

Having to carry around a Zune/battery pack/portable amp is too much for portable use, so people (like myself) went to a different player for its line out.

There's also the question of whether or not the signal is coming from the headamp, or directly from the DAC in some form. The fact that you can adjust the volume on the zune to lower the "line out" volume doesn't seem to suggest that it's a true line out. (please correct me if I'm wrong about the volume, I did a lot of research on the zune a while ago)

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 42
Ya know what??? I think im going to find one of these LODs somewhere on clearance for a cheap price and take it apart and stick the darn thing in a tiny hammond case or something and if i dont botch the whole thing up, ill make one myself.....i hope. lol

Now i just have to find one somewhere on clearance and ill be set.

Then i have to fix my eyes so i can see those tiny LOD wired and pins so i can solder it (the impossible for me).

Im rambling and ranting right now. Can ya tell?

But i think i know someone i can call to try this if i get the parts together. Cross your fingers. Maybe in a few weeks if i find the parts.
wink.gif
***Prays***

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe people have been working on a diymod for the zune, so you won't need a separate battery for that. Just capacitors.

Having to carry around a Zune/battery pack/portable amp is too much for portable use, so people (like myself) went to a different player for its line out.

There's also the question of whether or not the signal is coming from the headamp, or directly from the DAC in some form. The fact that you can adjust the volume on the zune to lower the "line out" volume doesn't seem to suggest that it's a true line out. (please correct me if I'm wrong about the volume, I did a lot of research on the zune a while ago)

Yes you can adjust the volume while its docked, but unless someone can check the schematics, we wont know where the signal is coming from. I also just noticed the EQ settings in my Zune 30 also works while in the LOD.

Im not a tech, so i cant do it. I wish i was so i can finally settle this shizzle once and for all.
Someone capable please get off their butt...lol!!!!

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know what? A Zune LOD is absolutely possible, and ill tell you why.
I can use my Zune plugged into the table top Zune LOD and all i have to do is use my portable battery with a USB port in it to power it, and im portable. Im listening to it line-out as we speak with no connection to my pc.

Sorry, but how does that prove that a line out is possible?? I get the feeling you don't quite know what a line out is.

Just because it is docked, and you can play audio out of it, does not mean you are getting a line out. That is not what a line out is.

The Zune can function and play (from its one and only audio output) when it is being charged by USB. That's just by design. An iPod can't do this, and needs to play through its line out when it is docked. That's just the iPod's design. That's not what makes a line out. A line out has to bypass the main preamp used to raise the levels for consumer headphones.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 42
I do know what a Line Out is, and thats why i said that a tech needs to check the schematic and see if its bypassing the amp inside, because im not a tech.

It may be bypassing enough for an improvement. I dont know what its doing. Basically i just want to talk enough to create enough interest and excitement to get someone to make a portable dock.
Honestly i dont think the Line Out on my Ipod sounds any better than the headphone out on my Zune. It still seems to have the same Ipod forwardness and tone, so i dont know.

*sits and waits for rocks to come through my window*

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 42
I agree with you that the Zune's headphone out sounds as good as the iPod's line out. Partly I think that's why it's not really all that necessary.

In my opinion, a line-out is really only desired by those who needs to justify their investment in headphone amps. This is probably blasphemy on head-fi. But for those of you who only bought headphone amps AFTER owning an iPod and wanting to improve on its sound, I would wager that a blind A/B comparison between various amped DAPs vs. an unamped Zune would leave you struggling to find the one that isn't amped.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you that the Zune's headphone out sounds as good as the iPod's line out. Partly I think that's why it's not really all that necessary.

In my opinion, a line-out is really only desired by those who needs to justify their investment in headphone amps. This is probably blasphemy on head-fi. But for those of you who only bought headphone amps AFTER owning an iPod and wanting to improve on its sound, I would wager that a blind A/B comparison between various amped DAPs vs. an unamped Zune would leave you struggling to find the one that isn't amped.

Surely I'll take up that test with my DT880's, Yuin PK1's, and K701. Or perhaps even my electrostats.

Okay, I just own a pair of DT880's, but they make it easy to hear because one provides volume and one doesn't :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back