Is a new potentiometer worth the it?
Sep 11, 2008 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

robenco18

Head-Fier
Hey,

I recently bought an iBasso D2 Viper. And I love it. It's been burning in for over 200 hours and it's great. My only pet peeve is that when I don't have any music playing and I turn the volume knob, once I get to a certain point it starts to get staticy BUT only when I'm turning the knob. When the knob is not moving, no matter how loud or soft, the iBasso is still silent. so the only time it would be a factor would be when I am listening to music and adjust the volume, but I can't even hear the static anyway because of the music.

So is it really worth it to send it back to China to get it fixed (as iBasso said it would do) or should I just not bother with it. I'm thinking it's fine, but could something like this really turn into a bigger problem?

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 4
You can "lube" the pot yourself to temporarily reduce/get rid of the static.

There are many different ideas in how to do this. Some people use an aerosol switch cleaner, some others use a drop of (sewing machine or similar) oil.

I'm sure you'll find more ways if you search.

Its a common problem in most if not all portable amps.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 4
Try changing the ground channel opamp. Much of the noise is caused by the electrical characteristics of this opamp rather than a dirty wiper in the volume control. 2 opamps that are very quiet in the ground channel are the OPA2134 and ADA4841-2.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 4
If it doesn't make any noise when you have it to the volume you want why change it? There are a number of amps that do this but it has no effect on the music unless you change the volume continually while listening and that would take much of the pleasure of listening any way unless you keep time to the music with the volume. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back