Is a DVD-Player a good source for playing CD-audio?
Sep 18, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 8
i'm sure it's fine. today cd/dvd player manufactures have raised the bar in regards to the components used that make up the player. the DAC's today compared to the DACs of three years ago are definitely superior. look at the Sony DVP-S9000es dvd/cd player...it beats the crap out of most cd players in terms of cd audio performance, and it's a dvd player also. so yeah, your player is just fine for cd audio playback and you should have really good performance. in my opinion, the Sony budget players are the best sounding in their price range. there's just something abot that Sony sound that does it for me!

Sep 18, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 8
Interesting. I would have said just the opposite in general about lower-end Sony DVD players.

That is, to my ears, the audio DACs Sony puts into them don't impress me much. I have a Sony DVP-NC655P changer in my HT setup, and I love the picture quality per dollar spent, but I detest it as a pure CD player. However, I don't really care, because I just use my HT reciever's DAC anyway (Crystal delta-sigmas, I love 'em). But I would definitely not use it as a CD player from the analog outs. In fact, if you look at places like audioreview.com, you'll see this is a common criticism of Sony DVD players in this range.

This may not apply to the higher-end stuff like zeplin's 9000es, I'm not sure.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Sep 18, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Although a newer CD player has better DACs, it's analogue section, power supply, and transport are not as good as a better players'.

Cheaper players probably have a higher noise floor and more jitter. This is not to say you can't enjoy it. If you like it cool. If you got extra $ or are curious, try some other equipment out. That's the only way you can change your perspective of 'good'.

Sep 18, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by master83
Hi!

I have a Sony DVD-player DVP-S715 and was wondering if this is concidered a good cd-playback source in your opinion?

If it sounds good to YOU, then it's good enough.

Sep 18, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 8
Some time back I did A/B test with a few friends between JVC XV-SA75 DVD player, one of the top of the line JVC player two years back that includes DVD-Audio playback and NAD 522 (now sold) something like 5-6 years old. This was connected using Outlaw ICs to Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 surround decoder/preamp --> Proton AA-2120 dual mono block amp --> Acoustic Research S40 towers

The deference in sound quality was huge, the NAD just totally blow away the JVC in almost all aspects. I did the test to see if I can tell a deference between CD players which I was not convinced at that time. I know better now
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 8
If your DVD player is the Rountable Camelot mk2 than it is a wonderful sounding dvd player!

Full 24-bit/96 kHz compatibility
Burr Brown PCM 1732 24-bit DAC/HDCD® Digital Filter
Automatic upsampling of normal 16-bit/44 kHz CDs to 24-bit/96 kHz quality
Discrete I/V Converter and post filter/buffer stage
Seven independent analog section local power supply stages
Massive, low-stray field power supply
Fourteen total separate power supplies
Independent power supply windings for display/user interface, transport mechanism, Video signal processing, and audio processing stages
Ultra low jitter Coaxial and I²S digital outputs driven by Dragon Jitter Reduction

http://www.camelot-tech.com/

Sep 23, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 8
i had the distinct impression that the philips 963sa was well regarded as a redbook cdp, and properly modded (e.g., replacing the stock pc with something decent), could outperform the nad standard 540. i could only imagine what it would be like with a complete power supply upgrade, etc.

that camelot does look nice, tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back