Is a DAC necessary?
Aug 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #32 of 38
I've been using my Heed Canamp + Pico Dac Only with my K701's for several months now. I am using my Macbook as my source and my music is ripped with Apple Lossless. As mentioned previously, these phones require a very good amp to sound their best. IMO the Canamp matches up very well with the 701/702. The sound stage was expanded, the highs tamed. The whole listening experience became smoothed out. Also, I believe that the base has just about been maximized. Good luck!

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also tested this out with my system:

1. Old 1990s portable CD player into the Zana and HD-800 is pretty good. I can listen to this happily and would be OK with it as my setup.

2. $12k (retail) turntable into CMoy and the HD-800. This sounds terrible. The underpowered little CMoy sucks the life out of the recording and leaves the HD-800 lacking.

3. $12k turntable into the Zana and iBuds. Just awful. Not any better than the iBuds directly out of the iPod.

So, if I were you, I'd put as much as possible into a good amp and run a simple line out of your Mac. When you can afford a good DAC, CD player, etc., then get one. But for now, an amp will help your system much more than a DAC.

Great stuff, Uncle Erik. If we print this out and tape it to our racks, we'll have a ready-made reference for most of our audio decisions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kierkegaarrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . I have a new pair of AKG-702 . . . I'm thinking I want to get a good headphone amp (possibly even a tube amp) to warm up the sound, but do you think I need a DAC as well? . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kierkegaarrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . The 702s sound pretty great straight out of the iMac, but I'm getting into headphone hifi and want to get the warmest sound possible. . . .

Kierkegaarrd, if the K702 sounds anything like the K701, I'm wondering if you have the wrong 'phones for the warmth that you want. The K701's strong point is neutrality but not warmth. Thus, the amp, whatever the type or quality, might make a difference, but it may not be enough. If warmth is what you crave, then you may want to look at other 'phones. Grados come to mind. Senns, too. Closed cans, too. Just a thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather go for separate amp / DAC than a combo. That will leave more customization options to individual likings.

x2

I agree with OutdoorXplorer and Uncle Erik re getting separates. I'm not familiar with iMacs, but the DACs in even the least expensive notebooks on the market today are pretty good. Plug the output into a decent amp, and you're good to go. And as they both say, you can then get a good DAC when you have the funds. But you may find that the amp-only setup is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go external DAC you will also need an external amplifier. No way around it...

x2

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #37 of 38
Just wanted to thank everyone again for the replies ... I found a Yulong DAH1 MKII for a good price and just got it last night. I can't compare it to anything else because it's the only DAC/amp I've heard, but it's a huge improvement over plugging directly into the iMac. I can hear details I never knew were there. As to warmth, it's true that it's not exactly reproducing a tube sound, but I'm definitely enjoying what I'm hearing.
smily_headphones1.gif

— K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back