Ironlung Jellyfish Power Cords
Apr 4, 2007 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ej82m

500+ Head-Fier
Do these cords settle down after burn-in? I tried a couple of them in my rig and it made my system very bright and sibilant compared to my stock cables. If so, what's the best way to burn-in a power cord? Just leave it connected to a powered-on source?

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Mike,

Both power cords were purchased new. One was connected to my stax 007t and one was connected to the E5. I took one away from the 007t and replaced it with the stock power cord and it definitely smoothened out the highs. I will try it with just the E5. Have you noticed any difference in sound over time? Thanks for your insights.

Edit:
Just wanted to add the the E5 still sounds amazing with either cord. =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was one of them hooked to the E5? I used one on that E5 and one for my Eddie Current tube amps (HD25, the HD30 prototype) and never felt that it sounded bright. Granted, one was purchased used, but the second was brand new and I never felt like it brightened things up.

Puzzling.

A_Sr.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ej82m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mike,

Both power cords were purchased new. One was connected to my stax 007t and one was connected to the E5. I took one away from the 007t and replaced it with the stock power cord and it definitely smoothened out the highs. I will try it with just the E5. Have you noticed any difference in sound over time? Thanks for your insights.

Edit:
Just wanted to add the the E5 still sounds amazing with either cord. =)

I personally haven't noticed anything that I would call "burn in" with the Jellyfish. Things seem the same as when I first added them, as best I can recall. But like anything, different combinations of components are bound to sound different together (does that make sense???). I don't doubt your ears, the Jellyfish just may not work well with the 007t.

A_Sr.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Yes, that makes perfect sense.
wink.gif
I just swapped out both jellyfish cords and definitely prefer the sound as it is less fatiguing to my ears. I'm just glad they were pretty cheap to test out. I will give them another shot when I have more time to do some more critical listening. Thanks again.

Edit:
Ok, I think the Jellyfish may not like the 007t. I plugged the jellyfish into my DAC and do not notice any brightness with my dynamic headphones. I'm thinking that since the 007t may already be on the brighter side, the cords probably amplified it further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally haven't noticed anything that I would call "burn in" with the Jellyfish. Things seem the same as when I first added them, as best I can recall. But like anything, different combinations of components are bound to sound different together (does that make sense???). I don't doubt your ears, the Jellyfish just may not work well with the 007t.

A_Sr.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 6
There is a some mild burn-in effect with the Jellysfish but not huge. It is a *slightly* bright-ish cord with a twinge of extra sugary sweetness, but I never experienced any sibilance on any of the components I tried them on.

If you need a cheap cord, but like a warmer sound with slightly rolled highs you might prefer the Volex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back