iRiver iHP 120 replacement suggestions?
Jun 25, 2007 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Cuitarded

New Head-Fier
So my iHP-120s hard drive but bit the dust. Rather than replace the HD, I am looking around at some of the newer DAPs around...

I have been extremely happy with my iHP 120, and I have not seen anything that really compares. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement? I have heard someone say the Zen M:V was good, but also the Cowon iAudio X5.

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 25
Optical? iRiver H120/H140

Straight through the headphone-out? Cowon iAudio X5, Microsoft Zune, Trekstor Vibez

Amped? Apple iPod, Cowon iAudio X5L, iRiver H120/H140, iRiver H320/H340

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 25
I don't really use the optical out (I use IEMs, haven't heard of any headphones or IEMs that uses optical..?). I was thinking of getting another HP1XX but I thought they were discontinued?

Additionally I really could care less about picture / movie playback...

I might be better off buying a new hard drive for it if I am going to stay with the 100 series...

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 25
icon10.gif

I was talking about the optical output in case you had a external DAC and amp. I'm sure that's not the case.
There's not such a thing as IEM with optical cable ...

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but only if you're not using the headphone-out.

Practically every newer DAP trumps the H100 in headphone-out sound quality.

Are you being serious?

Anyway, for OP; my recomendation would be the refurbished h140 on ebay.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am, unfortunately.

and i hope nobody takes you seriously.

i bought an 80GB iPod without comparing it to my H130, thinking that the newer technology of the iPod would better (in terms of SQ) than the H120's, and that was one the biggest mistake i've ever made. i should have known better as i started with solid state system and now i have an all tube rig, from phono stage to power amp.

i bought an 30GB 5.5G to Rockbox it two weeks before Rockbox was make available for the 80GB. Rockbox made the iPod sounds twice as good but to my disappointment, Rockbox couldn't save the iPod, and it's not Rockbox's fault, it's the hardware, not the firmware.

i have since sold the 80GB iPod and keeping the 30GB for now to show people how much better the iPod can sound, sort of to pay tribute to the Rockbox team.

To Cuitarded:

when 3X0 said "Practically every newer DAP trumps the H100 in headphone-out sound quality", he or she may not have heard the iPod, and my advice is that you don't need to, if SQ is your priority. get a 30gig HDD for your H120 and turn it into a H130 and then Rockbox it, and it will trumps a lot of the newer DAP.

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 25
I'm also a big fan of Iriver sound quality.
Not listened lots of DAP. Have H120, H340, A2, Nano 2nd gen. 8GB and have listened Nano 1st gen, creative muvo, Zune and Ipods mini, video 5 and video 5.5.
And the Iriver are in the high part of my favorite list with the Cowon A2 ...

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 25
I would stay with the Iriver line if you want good sound. I did not like the sound of the Cowon straight out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back