iriver H120
May 4, 2006 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

gimojo

Head-Fier
Does anyone own one and how do they like it?

I was thinking of getting one for 220cnd. you think thats a fair price?

you guys are awesome. i just got a part time job and i went straight to here to find out about treating my ears to some chocolate

May 4, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 103
Yup im proud to say that i actually own one now after using my sisters for the past couple of years.I got mine off Ebay too recently,there seem to be alot on sale,im in Europe.I know for sure alot of them are refurbs because i have read many a discussion on them before i bought.Luckily i seem to have got a brand new one,not the slightest mark on it or any faults but then agin i could be wrong,but the main thing is it works flawlessly.
Its an amazing player,sound quality is incredible and there are so many different options.One thing i would say is to have a look at putting rockbox on it as soon as you get it.Its a different firmware to the iriver one and its so much better,features inc,gapless playback,crossfade,fast boot up etc.Just be wary that you may be purchasing a refurb although marked new.

May 4, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 103
should i dish out extra and get the x5 instead?

May 4, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by padi89
Yup im proud to say that i actually own one now after using my sisters for the past couple of years.I got mine off Ebay too recently,there seem to be alot on sale,im in Europe.I know for sure alot of them are refurbs because i have read many a discussion on them before i bought.Luckily i seem to have got a brand new one,not the slightest mark on it or any faults but then agin i could be wrong,but the main thing is it works flawlessly.
Its an amazing player,sound quality is incredible and there are so many different options.One thing i would say is to have a look at putting rockbox on it as soon as you get it.Its a different firmware to the iriver one and its so much better,features inc,gapless playback,crossfade,fast boot up etc.Just be wary that you may be purchasing a refurb although marked new.

Yeah, I'm going to put Rockbox on it, but it's a little bit of a pain to do it on my Mac, so I'll have to use a PC. Not a big deal.

I'm very pleased with the SQ. Used just the HP out and then line out to my Total BitHead. Very nice. Can't wait to try it with the MicroDAC. The GUI totally sucks, but that's not why I got it. iPod still has the rest of the market beat by leaps and bounds when it comes to ease of use. But then again, iPod doesn't have a digital out, does it?
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 103
Does Rockbox affect the remote's UI?

May 4, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 103
Yes. The iRiver H120 is a great sounding hard disc player and has digital optical out if you need it. One caveat is that, for high sensitivity earphones such as Ety ER-4P's, there will be an slight hiss from the analog outputs. Driving an amplifer/Senn HD650's or a DAC/amp/Senn HD650's cobo it's the only way to go.

May 4, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 103
Yes Rockbox affects the whole interface. The original iRiver FW UI isn't the best to start with, but I'd still rate it as one of the best players out there cos of the features. The Rockbox FW just makes the UI different but still no great (Doh!)

SQ and features are second to none. I have a H140

May 9, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 103
I already have an H10 (20gb), which I like very much. Is it the optical in/out that makes the H120 attractive, or is there something else? I was considering getting an H120 just for a Rockbox conversion, as I'm not terribly confident with that idea yet, and don't want to FUBAR my main source at the moment.

I'm using the H10 with Total Bithead and ER4Ps at the moment. I also bought the cradle for the H10, which gives me a line out port (not present on the H10 itself).

May 9, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I got it specifically for the optical out.

Monkey,
I, too, am eagerly awaiting an H-140 and a MicroStack; you are a bit ahead of me.

Am I correct that you need an optical (Toslink) cable with 1/8 miniplug adapters on each end to mate the Iriver and the MicroDac? (I hope so, since that is what I just ordered). The shortest length I could find was one meter, which is a bit longer than I would have wanted but it'll work assuming I'm correct about the miniplugs.

I look forward to your impressions of the Iriver w/ Rockbox, as well as you other toys.

May 9, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 103
I have one I'd used for a while... It's sitting there in its box collecting dust now, but it was a fantastic player. I still take it out from time to time and give it a listen, but not much else. The allure of colour screens was too much for me, and I'm not a fan of the H340.

May 9, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 103
I had an ihp-120, mediocre, unless you need the optical out. Remote whoops all other players' though.

Beware of HDD problems . . .
evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 103
I love my H120 a lot, and to me it's still one of the best players out. The only issue I had with it was the hissing mentioned before, but I don't really notice it at all now, and it wasn't notcible when playing music then.

May 10, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 103
Agree with all the posts. hiss, decent, not great sound. I bought it for the optical output, since I already had a microDAC hooked up to a portable dvd player.

You can use any normal toslink cable and a pair of mini-to-toslink adapters. For portable use, you'll probably want at least one of the adapters or cable ends to be a right angle. Again, for portable use, be wise, and get an extra set of those adapters. They're often cheap plastic and break pretty easily.

I have rockbox from a few months back. I don't care too much about the extra features, and using the optical out, some are quite useless to me. I mainly like the smaller font that shows more music titles on the screen. The worst thing about it is that sometimes the remote gets out of sync with the system and you have to either restart the unit or just pull the plug on the remote. This mostly happens when it goes into the setup stuff, which sometimes happens inadvertantly, partly because the iriver is pretty hard to navigate with that silly 5 way switch, and the remote isn't the easiest either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back